Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I know this has probably been asked tonnes of times before but...
My tiels have been mating lots and over the past week she's laid 4 eggs, both parents are on the eggs in turns - I've candled them and they all look the same - translucent with yellow yolk, there also all still pretty pinkish to look at. The oldest is 7 days old now. I fear there not fertile, am I correct?
Is there anything I can do to increase the fertility of my birds?

Thanks guys x

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
when did she start sitting? a fertile egg will not show signs of life untill about 4 days after the hen starts sitting tight. Give it a few more days and try again, a fertile egg will have red veins running thru it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I found a lovely picture showing all the stages of development so was looking out for the spidery vein's. Well she laid her first one 8 days ago and her 4th last night, they've been sitting pretty tightly for about 4 days - she left the box for about half hour last night though...in the half hour she was out, they mated and fed and then went back in.

Thanks again -I've had tiels forever but never tried breeding. X

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not entirely sure....there from a bird rescue centre and they told us they had laid about 4 months back but not been given the chance to sit. Were up to 6 eggs now and they literally don't leave the box for !ore than 2 mins at a time. Haven't candled the last 3 as there only a few days old - will check them tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Try trimming their feathers around the vent area (the bird's butt) this will help ensure good contact and help with fertility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts