Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question which i don't know if anyone will be able to answer for sure, but i think it is an interesting thought anyway.

Cookie's weight is usually around about 93g. Without fail, every 4-6 weeks her weight will drop, sometimes as low as 85g. The first time it happened i was a bit worried, but she seemed well in every other sense so i held off going to the vet. After several days her weight started going back up and then back to normal.

With the regularity of these weight variations, i was thinking it might be a hormonal thing. What do you think? She's definitely not sick. They're always weighed in the evening so it's not like i weigh her one week in the morning and she's light, and then next in the evening when she's eaten more and she's heavy...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I can't say for sure but if it's anything like humans, then it's normal. I can tell you Baby's weight varies all the time. We should start a log to monitor it- weight first thing in the morning or something. Baby's weight now is 93grams but she can go as low as 85grams to right under 100grams. She also isn't fat and nothing is wrong with her...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be interesting to see if other female tiels have similar weight changes! :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you weigh her once a week at the same time, you might see the change too...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Georgie is a little chunkie compared to all of your's...lol she weighed in at 100 and thats down from her original weight of almost 110 :eek:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Georgie is a little chunkie compared to all of your's...lol she weighed in at 100 and thats down from her original weight of almost 110 :eek:
:p She's still within the healthy weight range for cockatiels. Banjo (Feathers tiel, i bird sit sometimes) is about 105g.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I guess some like people are just bigger then others...lol

Yup. Baby weighed 102 once...:eek: I got a bit worried but it's only because she's a bit tiny and that was starting to show on her belly...the little line down the middle...:rolleyes:

I'll start it too Bea- one month- every Saturday. Post what you get here-

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm pretty sure that you want to be able to see a line down the middle, they need some meat on their bones. :p What you don't want is a massive canyon down their stomach..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts