Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my other topic ("I'm Excited!") I introduced this cute Whiteface Lutino as my maybe-soon-to-be-bird, however awaiting test results of a DNA test. I would love a male, but as has been pointed out on the forum here, Whiteface lutinos are usually females. So now I'm starting to doubt myself because I really like the bird..

So, what can you guys tell me about female cockatiels, and reasons for me to want one? Tell me more about your experiences :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If you like the bird, that's far more important than the bird's sex. I have two females who are incredibly outgoing, active, and cuddly. That said, all birds are individuals and about the only thing you can count on being linked to sex is that most males sing and most females don't. But even that isn't a guarantee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Females can be just as sweet as males. I have 2 males and 2 females. My 2 males are sweet. One female will bite the heck out of me for touching her (working with her) my other female is very sweet and even give kisses. She even makes these cute little noises, and sounds like a squeaky toy. They are like kids, each one has their own personality. I love them all, even the one that bites.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My Zoe is a girl and I wouldn't change that for the world! She is such a character. And she is very cuddly. Girls may generally not whistle as boys do (although zoe has picked up a few short whistles here and there), but other than that there is really not much you can do with a boy that you couldn't do with a girl!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

Had a bit of a scare this week where my landlord all of a sudden was against the idea of having a bird... however managed to secure his written permission, Phew!!

I've made up my mind, the store called and said my bird started whistling so it must be a male (ehhmm... I am not entirely sure that it signifies much!) and they forgot to submit the DNA test so getting my money back on that... but getting the bird regardless. :) Now there is a delay on the cage because of the New York storm.... aaahh! haha. Thanks for all the replies, it does help to read things from owners!

I mean just look at this face!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My female Candy is a sweetheart. She loves cuddling and being petted on the head.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I actually prefer females to males, but that's any animal for me. I'd always go for the female first lol. Some females can whistle but it's not as common as it is in males so you may have a male on your hands. I just always found my girls more cuddly.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm not really sure where the idea that males are sweeter/tamer than females comes from. My girls are far more affectionate than my male (who is plenty tame but doesn't like being touched aside from scritches on his terms). But in my experience, an individual bird's personality determines that more so than the sex.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I haven't had a cuddly female (as of yet), but I do have a soft spot for them. In my experience they seem to be gentler and calmer than males, but as has been said, no two birds are the same personality-wise. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was set on a male because of the whistling and talking part. But I'm realizing more and more that I don't care as much as I had myself believe. :) which is great, haha!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was set on a male because of the whistling and talking part. But I'm realizing more and more that I don't care as much as I had myself believe. :) which is great, haha!
I get that. I picked Murray out on a gut feeling and hoped she would be a boy too. After all, males whistle and you don't have to worry about eggs...but honestly when you bring him/her home it won't matter one bit. He/she will have their own unique personality that make an impression on you as an individual :) You couldn't get me to swap my Murray for all the talking eggless birds in the world! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts