Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a 3 y/o female cockatiel. She's always been closely bonded to me and never been very playful, she just likes to chill on my shoulder and get head scratches.

For the past week or so she's been UNBEARABLE with screeching. She will screech for me to come get her out of her sleep cage in my office, and will location-call / screech when I'm outside or leave the room, but lately she's doing loud screeches even when she's on my shoulder RIGHT IN MY EAR. If she's in her cage for any length of time it's just nonstop.

This is different from how she usually is. I tried checking if she was hungry, needed her water changed, gave her some millet for a treat etc but she just wants out of the cage and to constantly be with me / on me - but will still keep screeching!

I'm wondering if something could be wrong with her health or like maybe she needs to lay an egg? She has never laid eggs before. The other thing I'm thinking is that it could be because her cage is near a window and since it's summer we have all the windows open (with screens) and maybe being able to see outside or hear crows in the distance is freaking her out? Not sure what to do about that though because unless I put her "away" in her nighttime cage there's always going to be a window somewhere. My hearing can't take much more!

·
Registered
3 Posts
See a vet quickly if she might be egg-bound, but check it quickly. And in the meantime try singing to her. Mine goes to sleep when I sing Rock a bye baby. If he gets irritable I sing "Down in the meadow" and he mellows out His health is good, yours may have a problem only a vet can recognize.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts