Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a female ( I think) cockatiel. The lady who sold it to me raised it herself and says she is 3 months old. I understand tiels reach sexual maturity later than that. However, lately I've noticed her often lower her head, raise her tail feathers and make a unique chirping sound. When she does this she enjoys having her neck scratched. I've read that this is most certainly sexual behavior indicating she is ready to copulate.

So... isn't she too young for this? And, should I encourage the behavior by scratching her neck? Ignore her?

Thanks for any tips!

:confused:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Being only 3 months old, makes me think you have the mating chirp confused with a contented chirp or even a confused feed me noise. Scritches on the neck at this age are more than likely not going to spur mating behavior. You want to stay away from their back and stomach area.. for both the reasons of stimulating and annoying. But head scritches don't generally fall into this category.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the quick response. I'll keep this in mind and keep watching (and confirm the age with the lady who sold her to me), because it does seem to me like an invitation to mating (I compared it to videos I saw on youtube). I forgot to mention, there is another Tiel in the cage which I'm almost positive is a male, about 6 months, and ignores her completely when she does this .... :S ....

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm sure it is not absolutely unheard of. I have two that are from the same clutch, brother and sister that were housed together up until a bit ago. The male was showing sexual maturity with the female and they were then separated.. They are 5 and a half months old and this was about a month ago, roughly. But still 3 months is rather young I think.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The bird could be older than you were told. I had a hen who would present herself to me no matter where I scratched her at (she was that bonded to me). I scratched her head, she'd present herself. So it is possible to make them hormonal that way. I would avoid doing this to her when she makes those noises and increase their night time hours to lower her hormones just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry for bringing this back, but my female has often done the same thing.
The male reacts by "pecking" (?) the area of her vent. It drives her crazy in a good way. It's the only time she really makes any sounds (except for the beak grinding when she's happy or going to sleep).

What is the purpose of my males behavior?
Sorry if this sounds pervy but is it similar to oral sex? That's what it made me think of.
Or is it something entirely different lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts