Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 years old male cockatiel. He is living with me since he was few months old. Lately we visited some relatives who have cockatiel couple, and my bird went crazy after the female. So I bought another female cockatiel. She is 8 months old (the oldest I could find) but he doesn't seem to be interested in her at all. I decided to give them some time and put their cages beside each others with the doors open. The female sometimes is making a weird sound like crying while looking at the male (I have never heard the male making such a sound) . I am not sure if she is calling or threatening him. I googled it and it is the same sound the very young cockatiels made when they are asking for food. But I am sure she is not hungry and only making this sound when the male is near her. What does this sound mean? And could my male become interested in her later? She is with us for a week now and there doesn't seem to be a progress. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does she raise her bum a bit when doing this sound? Is this like a silent... well... “cute beeping”-like sound? :) Because it may just be a sign that she is ready to mate. Definitely signals that if she raises her bum... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 3 years old male cockatiel. He is living with me since he was few months old. Lately we visited some relatives who have cockatiel couple, and my bird went crazy after the female. So I bought another female cockatiel. She is 8 months old (the oldest I could find) but he doesn't seem to be interested in her at all. I decided to give them some time and put their cages beside each others with the doors open. The female sometimes is making a weird sound like crying while looking at the male (I have never heard the male making such a sound) . I am not sure if she is calling or threatening him. I googled it and it is the same sound the very young cockatiels made when they are asking for food. But I am sure she is not hungry and only making this sound when the male is near her. What does this sound mean? And could my male become interested in her later? She is with us for a week now and there doesn't seem to be a progress. Thanks.
The female is young and isn’t ready to mate and that’s why she is making that squeaky sound. Need another 3-4 months so the male will have to wait for a while before they have babies 🙂

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.