Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Would it be possible if I could see a picture of her? I actually have a DNA'd female who was rubbing her tails as well so I'm kind of wondering if females will do that too, then. I've never seen her do that before until the other day.

Registered
I'm wondering if she might actually be a 'he'. I used to have an older pearl female cockatiel, and she had more pearls than yours does. I also have a cinnamon pearl female cockatiel who has more pearls than yours. Usually, males will lose their pearl markings, and females will keep them through life. That's the reason I'm thinking she is actually a 'he'.
Bird Cockatoo Parrot Beak Feather
Bird Wood Beak Feather Parrot

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your bird is so beautiful.
I thought that it may be a he, but the male face of gray cockatiels are bright yellow and the tail is gray or dark gray, and my bird's face is predominantly gray and the tail is yellow with stripes, also she only makes the flock calls in different tones. My male cockatiel is chiriping and singing and they have the same age.
This is my male cockatiel.
Bird White Beak Cockatiel Pet supply

Registered
Thank you! And yes, that is what is confusing me. The face is much more grey than my female's face. The tails don't matter since all babies, male or female, will have the yellow tails with stripes. I would either DNA him/her or wait until after its first molt to know for sure. Do you happen to know what his/her parents' mutations are? Since pearl is sex-linked, there might be a way to tell what he/she is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just told that the parents were grey pearl and cinnamon, that's all i know, but instead of doing a DNA test to see the gender i would rather wait. I don't want to stress her out.

Registered
Okay, if the dad is the pearl and the mom is the cinnamon, then your cockatiel would be female. If the dad is the cinnamon and the mom is the pearl, then your cockatiel could be male or female. I think just waiting until after the first molt will be good enough though because like I said, males will lose their pearl markings whereas females will keep them for life.

Registered
You're welcome! 馃槉. What do you mean by a blind spot? Yes, it sounds like they are molting. Just keep an eye on them if they live in the same cage to make sure they aren't plucking each other. If not, then they are just molting. 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry i meant bold spot, a very small one under each wing, both of them have it and i can't always see it, just sometimes depending on the strech they make.
Am i too worried?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts