Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( After much consideration I decided it was a good time to get a friend for Sol, who I have had for a little while now. I picked out a lutino baby several weeks ago and went to pick him up today. I bought a starter cage for him too. I should not have brought my children with me because they were very distracting. I absentmindedly left the store with the bird in my grasp and he wiggled free....and of course flew off! He landed on the roof of a building in the parking lot and after many attempts by me and the store employees, including a random man that climbed on the roof with a net, he flew to a high tree and blended in with the coloring. We tried everything and lost complete sight of him. I know in my heart he won't be gotten back and that he is gone for good, we did everything we could. We even tried to bring out the most vocal cockatiel and that didn't work either, even though the baby heard him singing over and over. I can't believe how high he got even though his wings were clipped, I feel so bad. I'm at fault for it and I admit it. I was too distracted and not paying attention. I'm also so used to my bird at home that just stays with me and doesn't try to get away. It is going in to the evening hours now and getting dark soon, there are also a lot of hawks in that area. I don't know if the store employees will try to look again or not. When I got home I felt the worst though. I had a cage and everything for him and came home with an empty cage and knowing that he's out there and will die....so sad....

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's really sad :frown: I'm so sorry that happened. Was he hand reared? If he ends up walking on the footpath hopefully someone will stop and pick him up. :(

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was hand reared/hand fed, all that. Very well socialized. I doubt he will find his way back though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's sad. :(

just the other day, i had my cage open outside while cleaning it and didn't even pay attention and my unclipped bird climbed out on top of the cage (she LOVES to fly) and luckily i saw her and instinctively grabbed her and put her back. One second more and she would have been gone

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry that happened - I hope he is caught though - since it happened near the bird store perhaps store workers (bird people) will listen/watch for him. :(

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Im so sorry when rocko was standing at an open window once i thought he was gone but he didnt fly out he allowed me to close the window i think he was too hot in my bedroom and he could some how sense fresh cold air from another room

·
Registered
507 Posts
So sorry to hear you lost him...

But it bears repeating that even if they're clipped, with the right breeze and determination, they can still fly. Never, ever take a bird outside without a harness or flight suit, unless you are prepared to lose them. It happens all the time... just look at places like ParrotAlert. :(

Bringing a cardboard box or carrier would have been the most logical choice. Most (if not all!) pet stores should have pop up cardboard carriers specifically for taking new pets home. When I brought Cheeko home I put him in an itty bitty cracker box just to keep him safe while moving him to the car.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sorry to hear you lost him...

But it bears repeating that even if they're clipped, with the right breeze and determination, they can still fly. Never, ever take a bird outside without a harness or flight suit, unless you are prepared to lose them. It happens all the time... just look at places like ParrotAlert. :(

Bringing a cardboard box or carrier would have been the most logical choice. Most (if not all!) pet stores should have pop up cardboard carriers specifically for taking new pets home. When I brought Cheeko home I put him in an itty bitty cracker box just to keep him safe while moving him to the car.
Good point about the box, I agree. I feel at fault for it but I also feel like the store was careless too, just saying. I really don't think he's going to make it back. There were a lot of very high trees and he got in one of them. I know he's gone. I just can't believe how much height and distance he got with clipped wings. It wasn't even a breezy day though.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Good point about the box, I agree. I feel at fault for it but I also feel like the store was careless too, just saying. I really don't think he's going to make it back. There were a lot of very high trees and he got in one of them. I know he's gone. I just can't believe how much height and distance he got with clipped wings. It wasn't even a breezy day though.
How exactly did he get away were u holding him in your hands

·
Registered
769 Posts
God, that must be horrible. So sorry that happened. God knows how he flew to a tree when his wings were clipped. It surprises me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
God, that must be horrible. So sorry that happened. God knows how he flew to a tree when his wings were clipped. It surprises me.
I still can't believe the distance and height he got with clipped wings. I have done so much business with this bird store...several very expensive bird cages, I purchased a couple birds sometime back, a lots of toys, food, and other things. I have spent so much money there. I wish they would have compensated me somehow for this happening.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
really sad

Having lost a bird to escape (in the winter), I can understand how you feel. But it is quite possible that bird might survive. The weather is warm now (at least where I live) and you said he was socialized. Maybe when he gets hungry he might come down to someone.
I work at a nature center at a camp. All of the staff know my love for birds. A couple of summers ago, I got a call from a neighbor who had a cockatiel in her yard. I went to get it. The bird was fully flighted and not afraid, but he wouldn't come to my hand. He was just in my reach, so I unceremoniously reached up and grabbed him off the branch without hurting him. I took him to our local vet clinic, where the receptionist's daughter adopted him. (We'd run ads in the local papers, but no response.) The vet said he could have traveled a long distance and been out for weeks.
So take heart, maybe he will be okay. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My heart goes out to you, and the little guy. As mentioned above, I am surprised the shop didn't offer a cardboard box to transport him in. Joey rode home in one of those little pop up boxes despite the fact his cage was purchased at the same time.

I am holding out hope someone from the pet shop is able to win his trust to come back.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
God knows how he flew to a tree when his wings were clipped. It surprises me.
Yes. May this be a warning to bird owners everywhere who take their birds outside without a harness because they think their bird won't be able to get away with clipped wings. They can, and they will.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once they get away they aren't willing to come back either, typically anyway. I haven't heard anything from the pet store so I'm sure he wasn't found. I doubt he will be at this point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How gutting for you, and there's no need for you to be chastised, I'm sure you didn't expect him to fly away, it's all very unfortunate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts