Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My birds are currently on their second batch of eggs (and last) this year. Mom is not coming out to eat often and when she does, she eats about 3 bites and rushes back into the nesting box. She has laid 6 eggs and is finished laying. her eyes don't look great, and they are both (mom and dad) looking thin like birds do when they are roosting.
Can I offer her a couple pea sized chunks of a (safe) suet mixture?

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
I wouldn't use suet. It's pure animal fat, which is not good for birds. It would be better to provide high-calorie healthy foods, like hemp seed or sunflower seed. A small amount of cooked egg would also provide a lot of nutrients along with fat calories. If you want to add fat to the diet without additional nutrients, then oil made from some kind of plant would be better than suet.

Is your male helping to sit on the eggs? If he is, you can take the hen out of the cage for a longer break and hope that she spends the time eating.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
suet

I would agree that suet is not a good idea. I put out suet for wild birds in the winter. But the wild birds that eat suet are woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees and other insect eating birds. Cockatiels in the wild would eat very few insects, if any.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts