Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bird that is molting pretty hard right now, and I noticed that he just loves playing with his feathers...is it OK to make a homemade toy out of these for him? Somehow string them up so he has something interesting to play with, and will make me feel better about not having to throw all of those beautiful feathers away????
Anyone do this? I've seen toys in stores made from feathers, but would like to know how or if this can be done...thanks! :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Mine LOVE peacock feathers -I give them those sometimes -I keep the tiels' feathers but you sure could use them to make a toy.;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I like that idea too, thanks. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. now we need to put our heads together to figure out how to get them to string up, or put them in a toy somehow...
I don't think leather ties would tie tight enough to hold the feathers...thread would work, but probably wouldn't be good to leave in the tiel's cage...
I'm going to try to brainstorm...if anybody has any ideas, let me know! =)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I use butchers twine (cotton string) to tie all the toys up in my birds cages - - It would hold a group of feathers together pretty well

not sure if your birds are anything like mine, BUT mine would rather play with the string and not the toy or treat that is attached to it lol

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike likes the peacock feathers too. The feathers are closed into a piece of metal with a clip on it. I wonder if you could buy those. It would probably be hard to close though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the butcher's twine is a thought...is it possible to somehow string the feathers all the way down? Like a string of feathers, where they can have fun playing with the feathers AND the string???
I'll have to look up butcher's twine...but if it's like other twine, then it should kind of twist apart when loosened, then retwist when tightened again...so you could loosen it, stick in a feather, then let it go, and it should hold the feather...right? You could do that all the way down, and have this feather string!
I could do that with all of the birds while they're molting...maybe it will distract them from the irritation!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
There is this knot you can do that you can pull tight and trap the feather tight in the string but if you pull really tight it gets undone. I don't know what kind of knot it is called. It is two loops one goes into the other loop and pull each end of the string to tighten. You could do something like that along the lenght of the string. Sorry not a very good explanation. Hope it helps anyway ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
the buters twine I've got is actually more like a string ( cotton string) and the knots Spike is talking about is one of the boy scout knots i belive, my b/f does it alot I can't do it to save my life, unless i'm using something big like a shoe string or a string out of a pair of joggin pants LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts