Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I recently got my tiel but I've noticed dozens of feathers at the bottom of his cage like this:

Is it normal or is there something wrong with the bird? Also when I give him head scratches I feel hard clumps of hair on his head, what is this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't see the picture, but how old is your tiel? He/she could be molting and that is why its losing feathers. Molting is completely natural they go through their first molt around 6 months. Then after that they molt 2-3 times a year.

The hard clumps on his head is probably a built up of the white stuff that is on their feathers that helps make the feathers water proof (I can't seem to think of the word for it at the moment). When tiels are preening they have a hard time reaching the back of their neck so when you give them head scratches you are also preening them. So that is also completely normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see the picture, but how old is your tiel? He/she could be molting and that is why its losing feathers. Molting is completely natural they go through their first molt around 6 months. Then after that they molt 2-3 times a year.

The hard clumps on his head is probably a built up of the white stuff that is on their feathers that helps make the feathers water proof (I can't seem to think of the word for it at the moment). When tiels are preening they have a hard time reaching the back of their neck so when you give them head scratches you are also preening them. So that is also completely normal.
I don't know how old, but according to another member in this forum that helped me, my tiel is at least 1-2 years old. Here's the picture URL: http://prntscr.com/k9bbc9

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sounds like molting. Totally normal! As the feathers are regrowing, they are covered in a keratin sheath to protect the new feather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.