Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have used Featheriffic, which product do you think would be the most similar to it on this page? Is there anything at all?
http://www.petbarn.com.au/bird/bird-health-wellbeing
Maybe Soluvite D?
PS: I already have the calcium supplement product as well as a general vitamins supplement product I bought elsewhere.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It's generally not recommended to give vitamins to birds unless recommended by a vet. The BEST way for a bird to get calcium and vit D is from sunlight. An hour outside every day is really good for them. I used a travel cage that I take my birds outside in. You can overload their kidneys on all those vitamins if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's generally not recommended to give vitamins to birds unless recommended by a vet. The BEST way for a bird to get calcium and vit D is from sunlight. An hour outside every day is really good for them. I used a travel cage that I take my birds outside in. You can overload their kidneys on all those vitamins if you aren't careful.
Oh, I usually only give him vitamins when he is moulting, not on a regular basis, so only a few days a year. Sometimes I try to put the cage in the sun (in my apartment), but he screams like mad... Not in pain or anything, he just gets very hormonal... (and the cage was partly covered, so he was not 100% exposed). :(
I have a plastic travel cage for pets in general. I think Pak-O-Bird would be really good to go for a walk, but it's very expensive here (actually it would have to come from overseas) and I don't know if he would like it or not... :(
Funny that cockatiels are native to Australia but we have to order so much stuff from overseas...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
featheriffic

I have never used the product, so I can't comment on that. Here in northeastern PA it is too cold much of the year to put my cockatiel outside. But I agree that is the best way for them to get the vitamin D they need. I was concerned about Bennie not getting much natural sunlight, so I got him a full spectrum lamp. It's supposed to provide some of the same beneficial wavelengths of light as sunshine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never used the product, so I can't comment on that. Here in northeastern PA it is too cold much of the year to put my cockatiel outside. But I agree that is the best way for them to get the vitamin D they need. I was concerned about Bennie not getting much natural sunlight, so I got him a full spectrum lamp. It's supposed to provide some of the same beneficial wavelengths of light as sunshine.
I live in an apartment, so I don't have a garden, but I do have a balcony. Unfortunately he screams when I put him on the balcony, so I can't... :( Additionally once a cockatoo landed on his cage when I had put it outside because he wanted his millet spray!

I bought an infrared lamp when I bought him in case he got sick, but it is not the same of course. I tried to find a SAD lamp some time ago (for myself too), but they didn't seem to have any here. Is a full-spectrum lamp the same as a SAD lamp?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts