Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Feather plucking

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Cryren8972 
#1 ·
not sure if im posting this in the right place!

I know that the adults feather pluck sometimes to get the babies out the nest box but is feather plucking after normal?

My Birds always seems to pluck their chicks feathers after they leave the nest box. They pluck the head bald and around the legs and under the wings but its only the male parents who iv seen do it. is this normal?

after the chick is weened and bring them in the feathers grow back so i dont think there's any permanent damage

here is a photo but the extent is not overly viable.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are they in a small cage? Do you remove the box altogether or leave the box? One of my males plucked a baby til she was fully weaned, it could be that they're deficient in protein which they're getting from the babies feathers but its hard to tell.

#4 ·
They are in an Avery.
They only feather pluck when they have chicks, they never do it when they don't have chicks and they dont eat the feathers they just drop them, so surly its not a deficiency?
And they only father pluck when the chicks are out of the nest box

#5 ·
Sometimes a hen will lose some of her feathers in that area when sitting on eggs. I'm not sure if they actually pluck them, or if they fall out during mating season. Males will pluck the female around the head and neck area.
The other possibility is mites, but if none of your other birds are exhibiting the same symptoms, then I would assume it's just natural mating occurrences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.