Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cockatiels (Trilby 9, Charlie 6) recently had their first clutch of babies. The two babies seem healthy and happy, and the parents have looked after them well. However, when they were about four weeks old, Charlie began to pluck feathers from the back of their necks. Both babies now have bald spots and Charlie has been separated from them for the time being.
Charlie has monitored visits with the babies (now five weeks) and still tries to feed them, but he has continued with the plucking every time he is with them. He has also, more recently, started trying to pluck Trilby.
I've tried adding salt to his food in case its a sodium deficiency. What else can I try? What other causes could there be?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Plucking babies of that age usually means that the parent wants the babies to leave the nestbox so they can start another clutch. He might also be plucking the mom because hes hormonal.

Anyway it wont harm the babies if he plucks them a little, the feathers will grow back. Or you could try a bit of light hormone reduction techniques on dad, http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

1 - 2 of 2 Posts