Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Schubert is a cinnamon, but we've noticed that as his molted feathers grow in, some are growing it fairly dark on his wings and back (his molted chest, face, and crest feathers are coming in their normal colors. I've attached a picture where you can clearly see his new feathers compared to his older ones.

On the plus side, the barred feathers on his "pants" are growing in solid and his spotted, clipped flight feathers are also growing in solid, so I suppose we got a male afterall!

I wasn't sure whether I should put this in "genetics" or "health", but for the record, he's on a diet of zupreem pellets, Volkman Avian science no-sun cockatiel seeds, and the occasional greens (broccoli, kale, carrots, etc.).

Can anyone help on what may be the case? Is this normal for Cinnamons? If it's nothing health related, I still love my polka-dotted cinnamon but still wonder if it's normal or not, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey is a normal grey, and his feathers are darker now than when he was little. His first molt, it was only his wings, but the second, his tail was darker too. Overall, he is slightly darker than he was, looking back at baby pics, but not a lot. Mainly wings and tail.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Definitely male, and the darkening is normal. Male cinnamons will darken as they mature. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts