Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few concerns about my newest cockatiel chewing her tail feathers. She isn't putting them out but is chewing and snapping them off at the end of the shaft. Has anyone had any experience in dealing with this behaviour and how I can try to stop it.

She is in a large cage with a variety of toys to play with (which she does) and another tiel to keep her company. I know my other cockatiel puts up with her but isn't really interested in interacting with her, as he is overly attached to me. Could this be the cause of her mutilation?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't have experience with this type of thing, but perhaps if you provide some more information about her, others with experience can help. :)

What is her diet like? Has she been to an avian vet for an exam? How old is she? What is her weight like? I'm pretty sure self-mutilation in cockatiels is generally not caused by psychological factors, and is more related to the physical and nutritional health of the bird.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her diet is a mixture of canary seed mix, vitafarm maintenance pellets and fresh veg every day or so. She seems to be a good weight compared to my older tiel who I've been told is a little fat (oops). She is active and inquisitive but does tend to excessively preen when just perching. Both of my birds are de-mited and wormed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts