Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous cockatiel was a hen and she would occasionally lay eggs which were, of course, infertile since I had no male. I saved some of those eggs as amemory of her. A day or so ago I found some in a dish on the back of my dresser. I was curious to see if Bennie would show any recognition of eggs of his own species. (Both birds of a pair incubate, right?) Well, I held them in the palm of my hand and showed them to him. He hissed and backed up as if to say, "No way! Don't look at me; I'm not the father!"

·
Registered
786 Posts
Too funny!! All males act the same way LOL!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hahaha! Oh Bennie. :p

I kept one of Honey's eggs from her first (and only) clutch. I wouldn't dare show it to Coco because I have a feeling he would immediately try to sit on it and bite my fingers if I dared try to take it off him, haha. With his extremely protective nature he'd totally be an awesome dad. :blush:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paternity suit

Hahaha! Oh Bennie. :p

I kept one of Honey's eggs from her first (and only) clutch. I wouldn't dare show it to Coco because I have a feeling he would immediately try to sit on it and bite my fingers if I dared try to take it off him, haha. With his extremely protective nature he'd totally be an awesome dad. :blush:
That's interesting. It's an entirely different bird of course, but I worked at a raptor center and we had a male American kestrel who was an awesome dad. We had a male and female who could not be released due to wing injuries. But we allowed them to raise orphaned or foundling young kestrels so they would not imprint on humans. The male was much more dedicated to his "adopted" offspring than was the female.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts