Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What foods do your tiels love more than anything else? Is there one thing they'll go crazy for?

Mine both love digging into some bok choy or broccoli, and they also really like a nice dish of cooked lentils or sprouts. Then there's the obvious treats they go nuts for like millet and sunflower seeds. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bea how do you cook your lentils and sprouts?? I never eat that kind of food but I would love to try to cook it for Lea! Get here started on the healthy stuff early!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I soak the lentils overnight and then cook them the same way you cook rice, add more water than lentils and simmer for ages. :p It's easier if you have a rice cooker because then you don't have to pay so much attention to it. Another thing i feed them is cooked soup mix which you can find in the supermarket. :) It's got lentils, beans and grains.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Carrot tops and boiled egg oh and corn the frozen stuff thawed and warmed through.

Carrot tops are the winner I would say though. Only get them during summer here though.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll have to try green capsicum (pepper), i've only tried red and they turned their beaks up at it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
mmm peppers. I'll give it a go once i gets out to buy birdie veggies this week.

Since they wont eat a full pepper in one go it would be a great idea to chop up a little for them and freeze the rest so it lasts longer. I gave the birdies some leafy celery and when i went to see what happened to it they all chowed down on the leave and threw the rest on the floor. silly little things. Everything ends up on the floor.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave the tiels a snow pea today, they loved it! :D So that's another thing on Cookie and Bailee's list of favourite foods!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike likes peas. Iam still trying new things. He seems to taste some things but will not eat them. He is really picky. My budgie Icarus who I thought was picky is trying anything I put in his dish now :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Since they wont eat a full pepper in one go it would be a great idea to chop up a little for them and freeze the rest so it lasts longer. I gave the birdies some leafy celery and when i went to see what happened to it they all chowed down on the leave and threw the rest on the floor. silly little things. Everything ends up on the floor.
I had to laugh my Georgie does the same thing she is such messy eater, everything ends up on the floor...lol :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
LOL- mine LOVEs to take the veggies, eat some and then go to the edge of the cage and drop it...then she sits there and watches it fall..goes TWEEP and goes back to eat another...oh well...lol

·
Registered
5,602 Posts

Since they wont eat a full pepper in one go it would be a great idea to chop up a little for them and freeze the rest so it lasts longer.
I never tried that. I ussually try and buy the smaller ones and I cut it in half. (seeds and all). Baby gets half and the budgies get the other half.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts