Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot of stickies (so much info! ) but one question I can't find the answer to: how long after your bird has come home would you recommend switching foods? Obviously after they've acclimated and such but after that I have no clue. The store told me 2 months which I think is very long. (I have a feeling this is so I come back for food! )

Right now my bird is eating pellets only and I've been reading a varied diet is 30-40% pellets, 30-40% seeds and rest veggies.

So when I switch him over should I buy a complete mix (I'm thinking of dr foster and smith cockatiel mix) or mix something myself or..? What do you guys do?

·
Registered
885 Posts
A BIG misconception that uneducated pet stores/breeders will promote is that birds do best on a pellet-only diet. No! Seeds are a vital and very healthy part of a bird's diet, so major kudos to you for picking that up.

In your case I would begin introducing seeds relatively slowly so not to overwhelm the bird's digestive system. Maybe treat him like a foraging baby, and offer a small tray of seeds to play around with.

Any good quality bird seed is fine really, but try to go for something with as little sunflower seeds as possible.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I feed my boy Healthy Select parakeet seed mix, with some extras added in, such as organic hemp seed and organic raw buckwheat. He eats it all and there is virtually no leftovers. I also feed him Lafeber's Parakeet size pellets as well as Lafeber's Sunny Orchard Nutriberries. He also gets fresh organic veggies, organic sprouts, and an occasional bit of scrambled (in the microwave) egg, and bits of pasta or brown rice. He loves it all and it's pretty balanced according to my avian vet. Shaenne is right, seeds are a very important part of their diet!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
It sounds like you have everything taken care of! I generally switch them to their new food within the first week or so of settling in and gradually mix their old food with the new so it doesn't case tummy upsets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts