Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I found myself reading a lot of your great posts. I found myself doing this for about a week, maybe more, and decided I probably should just go ahead and sign up. I'll try to keep this short-ish.

The last time I owned a bird was about twelve years ago. He was an angry, young, regular, grey tiel. Far feistier than the parakeets I had been used to as a child. He tamed rather quickly, in about a week. Unfortunately, someone decided to both let him out of his cage, and leave a door open while we were moving.

He was fully flighted and made the most of his opportunity to get out. I spent several hours searching behind our property. It was the summer, it was in the middle of a desert. I never saw him again. That hurt quite a bit more than I would let anyone know.

A lot can happen in twelve years. I've since married and have two children. My wife is more of a cat person and we have four of those. I always wanted to get another tiel someday, but the wife has never really been keen on the idea, and... we have all those darn cats. I tucked the idea as far back in my mind as I could because I figured it wouldn't be for many years, possibly not ever.

My wife surprised me about a month ago. She found an ad that someone was selling some young ones for a reasonable price. She brought it up and I thought she was just picking at me and I brushed her off. She kept pushing that maybe we should go look. I said that wasn't a good idea, I would want to take one home. She said we should.

I argued every possible reason not to. The cats, kids, her anxiety over noises and messes. Extra costs... we didn't have a cage or a lot of funds at the time. She surprised me again, she said she had found a large cage for cheap, that we could easily clean up (and she did, before we went to go look, all by herself.)

I instantly fell for a white face gray in their flock of six. Two months old at the time they said. His feathers had been clipped... poorly, and he had some bald spots that were a little concerning. I probably shouldn't have taken him in that condition, but I also couldn't leave him. They crammed him in an old soda box, none too kindly either. We quickly transferred him to a carrier we had brought with us.

It's taken me the full month, but he's finally taming. He steps up, eats from our hands, he's very patient with the kids so far. The icing, as of a few days ago, he started letting me give him the scratches I was dying to give him (now he begs for them instead of wanting to step up.)

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Morpheus (Morphie is what kids and wife call him) and I are happy to have found this little community. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement you've already given me just through reading your existing posts. :wf grey:

I'll post some pictures once he doesn't look so ragged. He already looks much better.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Morpheus sounds like a total ham, LOL! Can't wait for pix :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts