Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 'Bird' has a bit of a crusty eye which seems to be affecting his vision. His eyelid does not move. A while ago he got into the habit of rubbing one side of his head on his perch which we think caused this. His balance is now totally off and he falls off, we have a small plug in electric radiator under the table that his cage is on and this is put on at night as the house has been quite cold. It also has a cover which we pull over the cage. He spends time at night on the floor of his cage (assuming its for the warmth) We inherited him from my in-laws who are no longer with us. My husband has been feeding him and cleaning him out for years as his parents were unable to. He had never been handled until the other day when my husband took him out of the cage and gently tried to dampen the eye area using Optrex on a giant q-tip. He put him back into the cage before he became distressed. My question is - is there a better way to do this? i.e. gently dampening a piece of cotton wool or cotton wool pad in cooled or warm boiled water until the eye lid is moving freely again?

·
Registered
959 Posts
<Troll thread>

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, with these problems including 'his balance is totally off' and 'he spends time at night on the floor of his cage' I wouldn't expect him to last much longer without medical treatment by an avian vet. I hope you will take him to one since he sounds seriously ill.
Hi, unfortunately when we came down this morning, we found Bird not moving in the corner of his cage - he had passed away in the night. Only yesterday he was happily eating and still on his perch. Unfortunately we do not have an avian vet locally - I don't believe that he was ever seen by one during the course of his life (22 years).

·
Registered
959 Posts
<Troll thread>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, 'Bird' has somewhat of a hard eye which is by all accounts influencing his vision. His eyelid doesn't move. Some time prior he got into the propensity for scouring one side of his head on his roost which we think caused this. His equilibrium is presently thoroughly off and he tumbles off, we have a little module electric radiator under the table that his enclosure is on and this is put on around evening time as the house has been very virus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts