Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The conjunctivitis does not want to go away. After 10 days of anti-biotic eye drops, it has reduced in size, but it's still there (you can see it on the first picture, the corner of her eye). I called the vet, who suggested trying a cream. I do not know what kind it is.

So I have applied the cream to her eye three times now, and it looks.. disturbing. I don't know if it's just that her feather stick together and she somehow rubs them all over the place, but right now it looks like her feathers have completely fallen out around her eye. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, eats normally and everything. Again, I might be overreacting.

This her eye. Keep in mind, I just gave her the cream, that's why it looks wet.

Some more pictures:

I realize this is a stretch, but maybe someone recognizes the cream from color:

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
There isn't a prescription that came with the cream?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, after I called him saying that the antibiotic doesn't seem to be able to get rid of the thing altogether, he said okay, come in and I'll give you something else. Then he gave me this bit of a cream in a syringe, told me to apply it twice a day to her eye.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Oh my. Poor Fid! Here's to hoping the problem can be solved! Keep us updated :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hope she gets better!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ParrotletsRock, I thought about psittacosis, but none of the other symptoms apply to her. She's active (apart from the occasional nap), she's got quite the appetite, no eye or nasal discharge, her poop also seems normal. Apart from her eye, nothing is wrong.

The vet thinks that this conjunctivitis may have been a long-standing issue with her, one that both the "breeder" and the shop ignored; so now it takes a little while for the tissue to heal. It does actually seem to be regressing.

The more I look at it, the more it seems that the cream just stuck her feathers together and then she ruffled them some more. Also, I assume that if the cream was irritating the skin so much that the feathers fall out, I think it would be sensitive to the touch. Yet she lets me touch it, and doesn't wiggle more in my hand than usual (for example, when her nails were trimmed, she whimpered and wiggled if I was to cut too much off).

All in all, she seems to be okay, apart from looking roughed up. It makes me sorry for the other bird in the shop, though. If he is in the same state as Lemon was, he desperately needs medical attention and a grooming (when I got her, Lemon's nails were so overgrown she could barely climb).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope Lemon gets better soon! Between the antibiotic and the cream you're putting on, it sounds like you're doing everything you can do, and since she doesn't have any other symptoms, it sounds like something you just have to give time to heal.

You may want to let the people where you got her from know, that way they can check out any of the other birds she was there with, and treat them if necessary.

Just one other suggestion for future reference, if the vet gives you any kind of medication, ask what it is before you leave the office, that way you know for sure what you're giving her.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As much as I would like to do that, I doubt it will have much effect. The turnover rate in the shop is very high (I think I saw three different sets of cashiers in a couple of months), and they all seem like college students or high school graduates; they most likely receive little to no training.
A pet shop owner told me that the breeders in this country don't much care about cockatiel health, because birds in general are treated as interactive ornaments, not pets. They don't care if one (or even more) get sick, because they can just "pop out" new ones. Add to this the fact no vet over ~40 (those who graduated before the early '90-s) deals with exotic pets (a purebred dog is considered "exotic" in some rural areas). A vet actually told me to not to waste his time, when I told him about Lemon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts