Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few days ago baby's eyes are a greenish blue color with red in the middle. I have looked at a few websites and it's showing this as a sign of still being a baby. She is 17 weeks old now. At whatever age do they have mature eyes? I'm just curious if they will lighten up more and maybe what color they will end up in the end. Her mom is a cinnamon pearl and dad lutino. Baby is "supposed to be" a cinn pear as well. Not sure if anyone can answer my question or I just have to wait it out. I would also like to confirm cinnamon pearl as well but I was wondering if that is it or could she have some other mutation as well. I'll add pic in comments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with harleydon5. Those look like pied (meaning completely yellow) flight feathers. Also, other indicators of pied are the so-called "dirty" patch on her face just behind and below her cheek patch, where there is splash of light cinnamon color where it should be yellow, and the couple light yellow patches on her back that are inconsistent with the pearling. Her pearls are a much darker yellow and smaller than those patches. So, basically, she is cinnamon pearl pied. She looks so similar to my baby! My Lucy is also a cinnamon pearl pied. :) Sorry I can't answer your question about her eyes. I've never read anything about it or seen it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The baby looks like a Cinnamon pearl pied split lutino.

Based on the parents' mutations , it is impossible for this chicks to be female and not lutino. If dad is a visual lutino , he will only have lutino daughters .

Cinnamon , lutino and pearl are all sex linked mutations. Which means you can only have visual babies if dad is carrying the mutation ; either visually or split.

The dad seems to be split to cinnamon, pearl and pied (or the lutino could be masking these ) . Mom also seems to be split to pied.

But anyways , congrats on your boy :p .

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Not sure about the split lutino -- this can't be visually identified.

The eye colour is because of the cinnamon. Baby cinnamons will have plum-coloured eyes, and I'm pretty sure this lasts into adulthood. You definitely have a very gorgeous cinnamon pearl pied there. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I say the baby is split lutino because its dad. VIsual lutino males will have all lutino daughters and sons split lutino when paired with a non-ino female.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh! I forgot that lutino is a sex-linked mutation! Vinay is correct in saying that your baby must be male. Any female chicks would have been lutino. I also agree that the father must be split to pearl, cinnamon, and pied or visual for these but covered by the lutino, and that the mother must be split to pied. I'm sorry, I had a temporary brain freeze when writing my earlier response. :p I totally forgot to consider the parents' mutations and was just looking at him visually to determine mutation. Sorry! :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! I forgot that lutino is a sex-linked mutation! Vinay is correct in saying that your baby must be male. Any female chicks would have been lutino. I also agree that the father must be split to pearl, cinnamon, and pied or visual for these but covered by the lutino, and that the mother must be split to pied. I'm sorry, I had a temporary brain freeze when writing my earlier response. :p I totally forgot to consider the parents' mutations and was just looking at him visually to determine mutation. Sorry! :D
Lol baby is a girl she was DNAd, I'll try and find the pic of her parents. I'm confused now, the breeder was a little wishy washy about what she is he changed it every time we visited her.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lol baby is a girl she was DNAd, I'll try and find the pic of her parents. I'm confused now, the breeder was a little wishy washy about what she is he changed it every time we visited her.
The only thing I can think of that would allow your baby to be girl, which she obviously is, is that the dad is not actually lutino. It's possible that he could be clear pied. The only visual difference between clear pied and lutino is their eyes. Lutinos have red eyes, clear pieds do not. If he is clear pied, it's also possible that he is cinnamon. This can also be identified by red eyes. The difference between the eyes of a lutino and of a cinnamon is that, when a light is shined into the eyes, lutinos will reflect red in both the iris and the pupil, whereas cinnamons will only reflect red in the pupil. This is an important distinction, as if the breeder were to shine a light into his eyes and say they are red, this does not necessarily mean it is lutino. It could very well be a cinnamon clear pied. If all the babies were cinnamon, that could also be an indicator of cinnamon clear pied, as all his children with this female would be cinnamon if he is cinnamon. However, you cannot take this as definite, as it is possible that all the chicks just happened to get the cinnamon mutated chromosome, if he was split cinnamon. Does this make sense? I feel like I kind of confused myself. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing I can think of that would allow your baby to be girl, which she obviously is, is that the dad is not actually lutino. It's possible that he could be clear pied. The only visual difference between clear pied and lutino is their eyes. Lutinos have red eyes, clear pieds do not. If he is clear pied, it's also possible that he is cinnamon. This can also be identified by red eyes. The difference between the eyes of a lutino and of a cinnamon is that, when a light is shined into the eyes, lutinos will reflect red in both the iris and the pupil, whereas cinnamons will only reflect red in the pupil. This is an important distinction, as if the breeder were to shine a light into his eyes and say they are red, this does not necessarily mean it is lutino. It could very well be a cinnamon clear pied. If all the babies were cinnamon, that could also be an indicator of cinnamon clear pied, as all his children with this female would be cinnamon if he is cinnamon. However, you cannot take this as definite, as it is possible that all the chicks just happened to get the cinnamon mutated chromosome, if he was split cinnamon. Does this make sense? I feel like I kind of confused myself. :p

I have any other pics other than in this post but the breeder said the male is a lutino and momma cinn pearl.

Pics
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=115457

·
Registered
70 Posts
Frostwish is right .
There is no possibility of a lutino male having non-lutino daughters. He could be a clear pied cinnamon pearl or split cinnamon and pearl in which case your chick being female makes sense. The cinnamon gene does make the eyes look reddish which when combined with clear pied could easily make anyone think the male is lutino .
I hope somebody more experienced chimes in :) .

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't actually have much experience with lutino, but I do know that it is impossible for a lutino male to have non-lutino daughters. This means that either they did the DNA test wrong and your chick is not female (which is highly unlikely), or the male was misidentified as a lutino. One or the other has to be true. I have never actually seen a lutino, but if it was lutino, I feel like you should be able to see the red eye in such a close up, head-on picture. I don't know, though. Hopefully someone who is familiar with lutinos will come on here and reply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts