Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I have a yellow cockatiel that we have had for about 10 years. About 2 months ago my cockatiel started closing his left eye. Up to that point he has been exceptionally healthy and he has a mate in a cage with another pair of cockatiels and one singing budgie who has become best buds and protective of Sunny. Sunny has never shown that his eye is infected and I live way up in Canada's North where the vets we have literally ask "what is a bird" .. The vets here primarily deal with mostly cats and dogs and up to bigger animals .. Each time my birds have needed to be seen by a vet .. It's a horrible ordeal having to arrange for a prepaid teleconference to an aviary vet in Canada's south with the vets in the north along with me......and still these Northern vets have almost zero experiences with birds ..
So Sunny still keeps his left eye closed most of the time .. He never seems to never seems distressed about his eye. Again there are no signs & symptoms of an eye infection, no weeping of his eye, no discharge .. Looking at the eye with a penlight ..there doesn't appear to be anything cloudy (like a cataract)

Has anyone experienced this with any of your cockatiels and what do you suggest I do in a community where there are no vets that deal with birds? Thank you for your time in responding.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
eye closed

I am sorry to hear about Sunny's eye. I wish I could say more to help you. It could be that there is something just starting that is not yet visible. Please forgive me; this is an honest question: is there anyone around who has chickens or maybe pigeons that might be able to look at Sunny's eye? I know you say you live up north in Canada where there are no vets within a reasonable distance, but I thought there may be ranchers or farmers that may have domestic fowl. I hope Sunny's eye will improve on it's own, or that you can find help for him. Best wishes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts