Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
A few months ago i bought my second cockatiel, and started taming it.
However training this one is turning out to be borderline impossible, and its getting extremely frustrating, to the point where i have no idea what to do anymore.
I started taming it the same way i trained my first bird (wich is a complete sweetheart), by giving him some time to get used to me and my house.
He got used to it pretty quickly, he sings everyday and is a happy cockatiel in general.
However he is irrationally aggressive towards my hands.
I hand fed him everyday, for 3 months now and he still tries to bite me whenever i try to get him to step up, or put my hands near his cage, he never bites when im feeding him by hand, and when i get bit i NEVER reacted.
Someone told me he might be territorial and recommended i trained him outside of his cage.
It sounded like a good idea, except he does not leave his cage, like, never.
I tried everything, i put food on his door, and he never left, i left the door open for a whole week, and nothing, i even tried putting his food bowl at the door, and he just spent the entire day without eating. It wasnt far away, it was literally at his door.
I dont know what to do anymore.
I wont give up but this is making me feel so frustrated.
It's been three months now, and i gave him food, attention and space everyday, trying to get him to at least leave his cage every single day, and he never did it. Not even once.
I don't know what to do anymore
Any ideas as to why he's acting like that or what can i do?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will he step up on your finger or will he bite you? If he will, the only way would be to just go in and grab him. I know that’s not easy but you can do it. The other thing is if you take the cage top off of the bottom as if to clean it, perhaps you could get him out. One more way is to use a perch to get him to step up on and then gently bring him out. Can you try any of those?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will he step up on your finger or will he bite you? If he will, the only way would be to just go in and grab him. I know that’s not easy but you can do it. The other thing is if you take the cage top off of the bottom as if to clean it, perhaps you could get him out. One more way is to use a perch to get him to step up on and then gently bring him out. Can you try any of those?
Oh... one more thing... start by putting your hand in the cage each day and don’t move it. Each day get closer to him. Build up his trust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maryann hs good ideas. I agree with the hand idea. Take the birds in a small room and let them both come out. Sometimes they need a push and then make it a great experience. I have a bird that bites also, not all the time. He will bite the other birds when i walk in the room. He wants to be the first one out. And he has biten me bad. I have tried many things also, he has good days and bad, but he continues to have that aggression towards anyone else who comes to the cage. I will continue reading to see if I can find any other way to treat them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts