Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I have a mix of beans which include........ black eyed , alubia, red kidney, dutch brown, baby lima, butter, haricot. i thought charlie might enjoy them, but was unsure, thought id ask,...............

does one need to cook them, or can cockatiels enjoy them as they are?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
raw lima beans are poisionous so I would definetly avoid using them I would also make sure that the beans you give are cooked.

here is a bit of information I found about avian nutrition
Sprouted lima beans and navy beans are poisonous - do not use lima beans!!! The following beans are good to use: pinto, black, lentils, pigeon, barley, whole green peas not split, mung, kidney, garbanzo or chick peas. Natural rice, wheat, rye, barley, sunflower and safflower seeds are also nutritional sources for sprouts.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I am not sure about the alubia, dutch brown and haricot- the other ones are safe. Most beans are safe for them- they must be cooked all the way though (esspecially lima beans since they can cause digestive problems otherwise- I give mine cooked lima beans daily)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am not sure about the alubia, dutch brown and haricot- the other ones are safe. Most beans are safe for them- they must be cooked all the way though (esspecially lima beans since they can cause digestive problems otherwise- I give mine cooked lima beans daily)
its weird how they saw to avoid lima beans, I am assuming they just mean raw? seeing as you give them daily...lol

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
its weird how they saw to avoid lima beans, I am assuming they just mean raw? seeing as you give them daily...lol
It really is- I didn't see what you wrote until after I posted. I know for sure cooked they are safe and raw they are not..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if you only half cooked them you could be in trouble!
My wife is forever half cooking things, lol

avoid lima beans :p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
So if you only half cooked them you could be in trouble!
My wife is forever half cooking things, lol

avoid lima beans :p
hehe.....thats funny :p maybe you should cook them :D

this is what I read
Lima beans can have traces of toxicity left in them if not cooked thoroughly or fed in a large amount. Lima beans contain Cyanogenic Glycosides, when in contact with stomach acids, the cyanogenic glycosides release cyanide.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hehe.....thats funny :p maybe you should cook them :D

this is what I read
Lima beans can have traces of toxicity left in them if not cooked thoroughly or fed in a large amount. Lima beans contain Cyanogenic Glycosides, when in contact with stomach acids, the cyanogenic glycosides release cyanide.
Maybe that's why I don't like them, I don't like the taste of cyanide!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol,

now your given me ideas, I have a big bag full of cyanide.........................

"how do you like your tea dear?" she'll never know:D

Of course I wouldnt give Charlie any tho :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I guess it's one of those things that you have to be super careful with- I steam their veggies so they don't get them raw- they come in the mixed veggies I buy but there's never alot in there- maybe one or two end up in the plate everyday and they don't always eat everything...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
lol,

now your given me ideas, I have a big bag full of cyanide.........................

"how do you like your tea dear?" she'll never know:D

Of course I wouldnt give Charlie any tho :)
LOL.... You better hope your wife never see's this :p :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts