Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if other people have experienced this. It seems like every time I breed cockatiels the male gets really excited when he sees the first egg, especially if it's his first clutch. I used to think it was just one of my males but I have been seeing my others do it too. They go in the nest box and see the first egg and immediately strut around and whistle. Sometimes they stay in the box and whistle in there (whistle at the egg?). Other times they run out, singing and dancing.

One of my first time dads is a very quiet bird. A few days ago I saw him go in the nest with the female and he stayed in there for a few minutes then he come out whistling and dancing like he was celebrating. I already checked the box that morning and there were no eggs, but after watching his show, I decided to look again and sure enough there was their first egg.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I've never seen it in my own birds but I don't think I've ever caught them first noticing their first egg. It sounds very cute though!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That is soo cute :D and yes, Henry did the same thing when Honey laid her first egg. He would go into the nest box and start singing loudly and enthusiastically :D it was quite a sight, I never imagined that he would sing while inside the nest. He was also very dedicated to sitting on the eggs, much more so than Honey was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts