Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few weeks, all three of my birds have been screaming almost non-stop, whether I'm in the room or not. Usually my one female screams a lot because she wants my attention, but the other two only scream if it's bedtime. The male doesn't seem to want attention; he's mostly only screaming in response to the girls. I think the girls are both hormonal, because they smell different during mating season and my noisiest female has been masturbating.

I've tried everything: taking away their toys (she's masturbating on EVERYTHING), rearranging the cage, putting Petey in a cage separate from the girls, darker cage covers, nothing to chew on or nest in, 12-14 hours of dark a night, no baths, and nothing but their regular seed mix. I even tried keeping them covered for 24 hours because I read that can reset their sleep cycle. Nothing has made a difference.

I'm not covering and uncovering them at the same time every day because with school and work I'm rarely home at the same time every day. I'm also not giving them as much attention as any of us would like because I don't want to encourage the screaming. I do my best to ignore them when they're loud, but with the stress of finals, it's been extra hard. When they are quiet and I let them out of their cages for attention and fun, they're only interested in eating my walls and books, hiding under my desk, and humping my hand.

The last time this happened, it climaxed with a lot of egg-laying and hand-biting, and then when the girls got bored of sitting on their unfertilized eggs, all was well again. This time we've had a single egg that nobody bothered to sit on, and the screaming and humping continues. I'm out of ideas and almost out of patience. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey nearly drove me to distraction with his last bout of hormones. I can only imagine three little darlings going insane with hormones at the same time.

I try to keep most things as normal as possible during hormonal times. Food, treats, toys stay the same. The only thing I really change is giving him longer nights and more shreddable toys. They seem to keep him occupied so he isn't doing the sexy dance with his perches and food dish perch as much.

I don't have experience with girls, so I can't really give girl specific advice.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That really is tough. My girls never ran into this issue because the longer nights worked so well for them. How long have you been doing this for? It does take about two weeks for it to really take effect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That really is tough. My girls never ran into this issue because the longer nights worked so well for them. How long have you been doing this for? It does take about two weeks for it to really take effect.
This has all been going on for at least two weeks, probably more like three or four. They started getting horny a little before spring started, but I didn't start longer nights etc. until it got really crazy a week or two later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts