Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I've got it that there is one type of Eucalyptus that isn't very good for tiels. I've found a nursery in UK that actually sells seedlings of Eucalyptus trees but I want to make sure I get the right one before I buy it. I will grow it in a pot so that it doesn't grow huge, I couldn't be doing with a tree that size in my little garden. So, am I right in thinking there is a certain type of Eucalyptus for the tiels, or have it got it mixed up?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I don't know of a harmful type. Maybe Bea knows. Sounds like it would be nice for the aviary!

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
There are more than 500 species of eucalyptus, and it's my understanding that all of them are safe. A bigger problem for you is that they're basically a warm-climate plant, although there are some species that are relatively cold-hardy - there's a discussion at http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/euccoldhard.html

Eucalyptus is normally a large tree, although they can be grown in containers and even bonsai. You would probably need to do some research on how to do this successfully, and also check the suitability of the species you have available.

I have a Eucalyptus microtheca (aka coolibah) growing in the yard, and the tiels love to gnaw on the leaves and branches. It's a young tree and so far it hasn't produced any "gum nuts" which are supposed to also be a cockatiel favorite. But I live in Arizona where the climate is hot hot hot, so I don't have to deal with the special considerations that you're facing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I didn't even know that you could get Eucalyptus seeds in the UK...I'll have to get some too. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I live in NC, and wonder if I could grow one...
If I'm not mistaken, there is one that can be grown around here...hmmm...guess I'll have to research that one and find out.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Local nurseries usually carry plant species that are suitable for your area. So if you can find a nursery that sells eucalytpus, it's a fairly safe bet that it's OK for at least some people in your area. You'll still need to do some research on how to keep them alive and whether your yard is really a suitable place for one.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
We have them here in the Northwest even though we get really cold temps in winter. They are widely planted in California. I remember we had a really bad freeze a couple of decades ago and they thought all the Eucalypts in the Oakland hill were goners. However when spring came they almost all came back just fine.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, they grow in Australia and Bea says that sometimes the temps drop to 0c. Our weather in this part of UK isn't as warm as Australia, but because I live next to the sea, it doesn't drop to 0c very often at all, it usually hovers around 6 or 7C in the winter. I'll have to take a look and see what I can find.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If it helps, I have a huge number of different eucalyptus species growing around my home in the national park, and it often drops below 0c in the cold months. In winter the average day temp is about 6-12c and at night it's often no more than 0-3c. It also gets over 45c during summer, so I know they can withstand a huge range of temperatures.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
They can also survive crazy conditions. We had big bush fires here about 6-7 years ago i think it was, and all the trees were completely black. All the pine forests had to get replanted, but the eucalypts had green leaves within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very true, we had a bad bushfire a few years back and the eucalypts were green again within weeks, except for the trunks. They're really hardy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Eucalypt's are native to Aus, so of course bushfires are something they have to withstand.

I'd say all are safe, well I hope so since Echo gets branches of gum tress all the time and I've never checked the species. One of the great things about living on a hundred acres of bushland.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts