Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say, Ergo seems to be doing better. He now plays with his toys and eats with me in the room. He used to not eat when he saw me watching, but now glances at me every few bites and goes back to his seeds. However, when I praise him from my bed as he's eating, he promptly goes back to his favorite corner, fluffs up, and sits there. He also hasn't eaten anything besides his seeds, save for nibbling on some cuttlebone.

Also, he barely makes any sounds. The day I brought him home he chirped once when he heard the phone, the next day he only made one sound as well, and today he gave out two little 'peeps'. Other than that, he's silent. Is this normal because he's still not totally comfortable in his new environment or could the pet shop workers have been mistaken when they told me he was a male?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm so glad Ergo is starting to settle into life at your house! :D He's definitely a male, because he has a lovely yellow face. It took my male Bailee a couple of weeks to start singing after he came home, so i would just give Ergo some time! I'm sure he'll become a chatterbox soon enough. :p

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yeah.....then look out! :D

I agree with Bea, it does take them a little while to settle in, especially if they are not hand reared, there is so much to get used to. Time and patience is what is necessary, also just keep trying him with veg, have you tried sweetcorn? That's a winner with most birds I think.;) Just because he won't eat it the first or second time, it doesn't mean he won't try it the third!! I've just given Dooby a sultana, he turned his beak up at it, then I split it open...oh, now, that's a different story. LOL!!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Oh, in in the same boat except Ziggy is quite attatched at the shoulder already. Keep talking to his and whistling..he'll make some noises soon enough. I heard mine make some non-girl baby noises but nothing significant yet.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with the others it just takes time, when I first got Ollie he would make some noises but it took a few weeks before he really discovered his voice :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well, I have to say exactly a week since I got Ziggy (today) he finnally let me hear his chatter and did some whistles and kissy noises..I agree with the others..I was impatient too but just keep talking to him and it'll come out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts