Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new here and haven't even introduced myself yet , it's just I've found myself in need of some urgent help . On getting home from work today I sadly found my female dead . Sad and unfortunate but that caused another problem , there's at least two chicks in the box . They would be at least a month old , don't require constant attention anymore but too young to leave the box .

So here goes ..

Will and can the male take on all the feeding himself ?

If no , how much work is involved for a chick of this age . and what would I have to supply . Heat ? . I know the pet shop sells hand rearing formula .

Would they take to me regardless after being naturally raised ?

I can't exactly leave my job for this and readily admit I'm a complete novice but if they do have any chance of survival I'd like to give it to them .

Thanks people Shane .

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
785 Posts
First of all your male bird could and probably will take over the duties with the chicks. We had a mating pair once where the female died not long after laying all 5 eggs. The male took over with them up until all had hatched. After THREE weeks, we take over the feeding with a medical syringe and baby food ( for tiels ) After about that 5th week, you should be trying to ween them off the formula and on too a well-mixed pellet & seed food.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts