Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocko hasnt been eating his pellets lately yesterday morning I gave them to him and he still hasnt eaten usually he has all his pellets finished by the night he has been eating his seeds but he also didnt eat his veg yesterday and hes is getting very grumpy my hamster still didnt get Adopted yet and shes keeping Rocko up at night and there is no where else to put her so Rocko obviously isnt getting enough sleep and im wondering how much would a Vet checkup usually cost I think i should get him checked and almost everybody in my house is getting a bug i had a bug yesterday but its gone

·
Registered
648 Posts
Basic avian vet check costs me $90, that's just a consult and gram stain. My birds have never been sick so I've never needed further tests or medicine but that would add to the cost. However prices vary A LOT ($90 being the lowest) and I'm only going off Australian prices. If avian vets are more or less common in your area that'll probably reflect in the prices too.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basic avian vet check costs me $90, that's just a consult and gram stain. My birds have never been sick so I've never needed further tests or medicine but that would add to the cost. However prices vary A LOT ($90 being the lowest) and I'm only going off Australian prices. If avian vets are more or less common in your area that'll probably reflect in the prices too.
Thats alot how much would u say a check up would cost

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ok so just the consult can cost you anywhere from $60 to $120 here. That's JUST the consult aka getting the appointment and having the vet take the time to see you. That price includes no tests. Any tests ontop of that will cost you more. The gram stain which is pretty much just the vet taking your birds droppings, dying it and looking at it for nasties under a microscope is a pretty basic thing that vets will probably do. Here that costs me $35. That's how I got the $90ish guess in my last reply, the consult and a gram stain. If all that checks out and the vet thinks your bird is okay then you may not need to do more. If they find something wrong or they want more test, the price will get pushed up and up.
It IS expensive. Saving up money so you alwatys have some handy if your bird gets sick is ideal and what most people try to do because it can cost so much and no one generally has that kind of money just laying aroubd for surprise vet visits.
I hope rocko is okay

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so just the consult can cost you anywhere from $60 to $120 here. That's JUST the consult aka getting the appointment and having the vet take the time to see you. That price includes no tests. Any tests ontop of that will cost you more. The gram stain which is pretty much just the vet taking your birds droppings, dying it and looking at it for nasties under a microscope is a pretty basic thing that vets will probably do. Here that costs me $35. That's how I got the $90ish guess in my last reply, the consult and a gram stain. If all that checks out and the vet thinks your bird is okay then you may not need to do more. If they find something wrong or they want more test, the price will get pushed up and up.
It IS expensive. Saving up money so you alwatys have some handy if your bird gets sick is ideal and what most people try to do because it can cost so much and no one generally has that kind of money just laying aroubd for surprise vet visits.
I hope rocko is okay
I noticed he has been eating them but just not much theres still lots left in the bowl since monday morning hes not getting more seeds until he finishes them lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah they tend to prefer seeds lol I have a hard time getting mine to eat their pellets. They'll only eat them if nothing better is around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts