Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Talk Cockatiels people! :)

Thank you for all your help in the past.

Can anyone give me advice about how I can plan to rescue my flighty cockatiel, Zeke, in the case of an emergency? :tiel2:

I worry about this often because I was once in a fire, so now I always think, 'What will I do if I'm in another fire?'

I generally leave my birds free to fly around the house. :tiel2::tiel4:

One of my birds, Conrad, is very tame. :tiel4: So when I once heard a fire alarm, I easily grabbed Conrad, shoved him in a cardboard box, and carried him down the stairs with me to safety.

But Zeke is different. :tiel2: He flies away whenever I try to touch him. I have tried throwing a cloth over him to catch him, but he flies away more quickly than the cloth can land. So now, if I need to lock him in his cage for some reason, I just wait about an hour until he goes in voluntarily. Then I close the door. But waiting would take too long for an emergency situation.

My grandpa suggests using a butterfly net to catch a flighty bird. But I worry that the edge of the net it will hurt him. Would you recommend I keep such a net on hand?

Any ideas for how to quickly catch a bird, if I ever need to?

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That and millet. Food bribery tends to get a tiel to do what you want most of the time and it may help.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That and millet. Food bribery tends to get a tiel to do what you want most of the time and it may help.
That's right. In my experience, food works the best. Even with an untamed cockatiel. I used sunflower seeds and veggies like cabbage or kale to bribe my bird.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Sometimes millet can work, but in an emergency situation with alarms going off, birds may be too scared to eat. I think the net is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Another good idea would be gloves. I know it's not ideal, but if the birds are in a cage, you can throw thick gloves on and grab them out. I had a male I had to do this with and he never seemed bothered by it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts