Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many abbreviations! So, I'm getting a male baby 'tiel. The mom, Nikki is a Sex-linked Yellow Cheek (SLYC) Pearl, and the dad, Oliver is an Olive Spangled.
I asked the breeder what the male offspring of these two would look like, and she said, "if it's a male it will be an Emerald split to sex-linked yellow cheek, white face and pearl."
So that means it'll be emerald, and have the genes for but not show a WF, yellow cheeks, and pearling? I know that males lose their pearling as they hit puberty. Can someone explain to me what the male 'tiel baby I'm getting will look like? If it helps, the two babies hatched so far have had all yellow down.

·
Registered
770 Posts
From my knowledge of cockatiel genetics ( which I don't have much of :p), I think your male will be a visual emerald, but will have the genes for WF, pearl and SLYC as in he won't show those genes.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It will visually look emerald, although as he ages you may see some ghost pearling. My only question is, where is the WF coming in? Because neither one of the parents are carrying the gene from the description you typed. :confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wondered that, too. Neither of the parents are WF. Maybe she just got mixed up, I know she has a bunch of WFs hatching in other batches, too. Thanks for the help, you guys. Roxy, how prevelant is it possible for the ghost pearling to be? It sounds like he'll be a realyl pretty little guy.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Its actually seen quite often in split to pearl males...I was also asking about the WF because its not a good idea to breed WF to SLYC. It messes with the cheek patch. Sounds like you're going to have a pretty boy!!!

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Olive is another name for Emerald. Spangle has different meanings in different places; in the US it's another alternate name for Emerald. The best-known definition is the Australian Silver Spangle aka Edged Dilute, which is not available in the US.

Having boiled that down, I get the following results from the genetic calculator at http://www.kirstenmunson.com/cockatiels/blue.html

Mother:pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked)
Father:Olive

male offspring:
100% Grey Split To Olive {X2: Pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked)}

female offspring:
100% Grey Split To Olive

This is obviously different than what the breeder said. You should probably ask her about what kind of babies this pair has produced in the past. Olive/emerald is an ordinary recessive mutation, so if the mother is split you'd expect half the babies to be visual olive. If one parent is split whiteface you would expect 50% split whiteface babies, and if both parents are split to WF you'd expect 25% visual whiteface chicks and another 50% split whiteface chicks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I'm unsure if the mother is split to emerald or not. I hope she is, I really want an emerald baby, and I'm paying $30 over what she normally charges because the parents are rare color morphs.
Regarding past offspring she said, "Usually I get one that looks like a yellow-headed pied and the other usually looks gray but you can tell its an olive because of the green tint to the gray. All of these babies are Olives split to white-face, yellow cheek, and pearl."
Okay, where te heck is the pied coming from???

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
If both parents are split pied you would expect 25% visual pied babies.

For all the babies to be olive, both parents would have to be visual olive/emerald. If the mother is SLYC, all the male chicks would be split to it but none of the daughters would be, because sex-linked recessive genes always pass from mother to son and never pass from mother to daughter.

It sounds like she's getting only two babies per clutch. 4 to 6 is more typical.

I'm not good with the rarities, but if you can get pictures of the parents as well as pictures of the present or past babies at a stage where they have already feathered out, we can try to figure out what's going on here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked her for some pics, I'll post them when she sends some.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Since she's getting such a low number of babies, the mother may be a visible olive that the pearl is masking. That may account for the low birth rate. It'll be interesting to see what the pictures show.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, the breeder said this when I asked her about the potential coloring of the babies and whatnot, "So let's see if I can explain this.. Ill send you pics of their last babies... Because both tiels are rare but different the babies will not come out "Looking Olive" or "yellow cheek" but will be Split because both parents are split... These are the ones most breeders want because now you can take one baby from me and get one baby split from someone else and create a "visual emerald or yellow cheek" depending on what you breed it to. I have my breeder friend that bought Olivers last baby and is waiting for one from my other emerald so she can breed them next year and get visual Emeralds. So yes these are still rare and are $140."
She then sent me a pic of a very cute grey pied male that had a very olivey face, and a normal grey male, both babies from the last batch. I think this all makes sense to me now haha.
The last batch was only 3 babies, and this one only 4, with two 3-day late hatchers. Does this have to do with their coloring, Roxy?

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
She seems to be saying that all the babies will be grey with splits, which is what the genetic calculator predicted. The extra price that you're paying is for the baby's breeding potential, not its visual color. Both parents are obviously split pied since they produced a pied baby.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Here are the updated results from the calculator:

Mother:pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked) Split To Pied
Father:Olive Split To Pied

male offspring:
25% Pied Split To Olive {X2: Pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked)}
25% Grey Split To Olive {X2: Pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked)}
50% Grey Split To Olive Pied {X2: Pearl Yellowcheek (sex-linked)}

female offspring:
25% Pied Split To Olive
25% Grey Split To Olive
50% Grey Split To Olive Pied

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Four is a better number than just two babies hatching. A lot of first time parents have issues so that could be what this is.

Now that she's clarified, you're essentially paying for what the babies are split to, like tielfan said, not how they look.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, this all makes sense now. They're more expensive because of the genes they're carrying. I'll hope for a pied boy, then. Theyre pretty cute. Thank you so much for all of your help :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts