Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am new to this forum, but this is my second thread as I needed urgent help with an emergency earlier today. I have a 15 year old tiel named Elvis. Pics are coming. Elvis is not yet tame, but he has lived with me for two weeks now and is making progress. I have known him for years so I know his background, which I think will help with the taming process. He likes human company and will cry out for me or my boyfriend if he wants attention, but he is terrified of hands and towels. So we have a challenge on our hands,but that is part of the fun.

I found this forum when I was searching for reading material. I live in Norway and birds are not the most common pets here and therefor there are not that many books about them, especially not good ones. I had several questions that I found answers to in threads here, so I thought it would be a good idea to join. I thought I had much experience with tiels when I got Elvis, but discovered quickly that he was different from all other tiels I have known. He can't be bribed with anything and doesn't care about toys. He also likes to eat and drink from the floor, and I haven't found a single thing he likes to eat except for bird food and hemp seeds.

Elvis likes music, my computer (he is really fascinated about the keyboard), for us to sit with him while he sleeps and my boyfriend. They sing to one another, it is really cute.

I look forward to learn a lot here and get to know other "birdheads."

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome to the forum...you will be able to find lots of help here. Everyone was so helpful to me when I first joined. Have you tried sprouting for Elvis? Its very nutritious for them, and usually hard core seed eaters will love them. Its also very easy to do. If you are interested I can guide you to where I buy the sprout mix and how I do it.
Again, welcome :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Welcome! I love this forum - it's one of the nicest and most helpful I've ever been on :) And yes, it's always good to meet 'birdheads!' Looking forward to pics of Elvis and to seeing how you get on :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all! Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

He is not that keen on sprouts either, but thanks. Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Broccoli? Rice krispies?

Hiya, Crow,
It sounds as if Elvis is really happy with you guys. Our first cockatiel was an older "rescue" cockatiel called Lars Ulrich. He didn't like very much at all, not people, or other birds, or toys. He loved millet, and we worried he needed a bit of variety in his diet. We tried him with a broccoli floret clipped to his cage at the end of one of his perches. He was worried at first, but then started approaching the floret in baby steps, speaking to it the whole time (he never used to say much, so this was exciting in itself!) in a little grumbling voice. After a day or so, he got brave enough to give it a try, and it became his favourite thing. When he was poorly and found it difficult to eat seeds, we tried him on rice krispies sprinkled with water, which he enjoyed.

With the 2 young cockatiels we have now, they love rocket leaves (not sure what they call rocket in Norway, but it is also called arugula), broccoli and rice krispies. Maybe Elvis will enjoy one of them?

Cheers, Aitch

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Aitch, I'll try the broccoli. And I recognise the talking to strange objects. Elvis talks non-stop to scary objects, or he makes small sad sounds if he wants to sleep and we disturb him, or he just wants us to leave the room.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a boy named Elvis as well. Welcome.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum something I learned with Rocko is sometimes the bird is ready to move on to the next step but your not.I was afraid of getting bitten when I wanted to teach Rocko to step up and when I did start he was looking like he was gonna bite but he was really just nibbling and he would let me scratch his head and stuff and after 5 months of owning him he was out wearing a harness and stuff.I now own Rocko nearly 10 months so almost a year and hes 16 months old.My other tiel Loki was tamed in 2-3 days and she was scared of hands too just like Rocko but she still hasnt bonded to anybody yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts