Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been exactly two weeks since i got them. (I don't know Ellie's gender.) Ellie's hand reared and fine with being taken out of the cage and I've spent a great deal of time alone with them in my bedroom talking to them. Today was the first day they made the first move to come to me though. For a while, they just sat inside the cage. Then it was on the cage door, then it was on the platform perch outside their cage.

Usually Ellie will sit on the platform perch or sit inside their cage with the door open and watch me and my other cockatiel Chester. It was a big moment for both of us.

I was seriously grieving the loss of my other bird Charlie who died very recently and suddenly. I think that conveyed across to Ellie. I still grieve Charlie desperately, but Ellie's starting to come into their own as my companion and not another companion's shadow.. which I admit it felt like for a while.

They've started accepting head scratches about a week ago too... which was another big moment.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There's nothing quite like the feeling you get when your bird finally makes the first move and approaches you for attention. You just know it's because he/she trusts you and wants to be around you on their own free will, and it's such a magical feeling. Congrats!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts