Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had ten cockatiels starting in 1986; they all lived very long lives into their twenties and my last one is now 30. Is this unusual? This guy Opus was born in my apartment in 1988 and now is all alone; blind in one eye, still pretty healthy but doesn't fly. He grew up with nine friends - last one was who died at 29; now Opus is alone but seems to be happy - so strange that they all lived to be so old. I didn't think they lived past 20 in an apartment and they never had vet checkups. They ate people food and Harrison's bird food; millet and chew sticks.
Anyone have a cockatiel that is so old?

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
795 Posts
No All mine (4) are less than 2 years old but it sure sounds like you must have taken very good care of them to have lived that long! Seems I read or heard somewhere not long ago that the oldest living cockatiel was 31 years old!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
elderly cockatiels

Wow, that is great that you have had Opus' companionship for so long!I have had 3 cockatiels. The one I have now will be 6 in October. My previous one died of cancer at almost 13. My first bird escaped at around age 5 and I never saw her again. I am sure Opus is a huge part of your family! Enjoy his senior years!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

It's not unheard of. They can be very long-lived birds if cared for and looked after well. You've done an awesome job of caring for your cockatiels, well done! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.