Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone I have a hen that was so eager to lay she layed her eggs on the floor I've allowed her to stay there to raise the eggs though through observation it's only her that sits on the eggs the male (that's experienced) doesn't sit which I find very strange anyway she did well at first then the last week and a half she has rarely sat on them and surprisingly they've survived through that and today ive noticed she's starting to lay another round of eggs and to top that off I hear chirping from one of the previous eggs will she neglect the chick if it hatches? As that's happened before in one of my pairings so what's your experiences? Will the chick even be strong enough to hatch even though she hasn't sat much any ideas welcome I've also got a long cock on dud eggs in the aviary I wonder if I could foster a chick to him?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
She might but the male should care for the chick. Does he pay attention to the eggs at all?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest I think this pair is what you call a bondage pair rather than bonded he was bonded with another hen which sadly died last year and I had 4 in a cage put one hen in the aviary which was his daughter who he was also mating with so that's another reason I removed her so that left kirito asuna and Charlie together charlie is old so when kirito and asuna started mating and then laying on the floor she was bullying charlie so had to remove him. And way kirito seems more interested in chatting to her than sitting on the eggs so she's pretty much done all the work and the eggs hatched over a week late likely due to the lack of heat I'm surprised the chick hatched at all tbh and way 2 hatched 1st one I watched carefully and gave the first feed as I wasn't sure mummy would and so it eventually got fed next day 2nd chick hatched then found it the next morning dead so maybe I should of given that one a first feed aswell? She seems to be sitting more now but I'm unsure if it's because of the chick or the new round of eggs she has now laid :/ but both kirito and asuna are feeding the chick he just doesn't sit :(

P.s kirito was a good dad and sat very well with his bonded hen so is very experienced so do t know why he doesn't help sit :/ it's all so Confusing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts