Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, as I am a first time breeder with cockatiels. They are a confirmed breeding pair of cockatiels, around 5 years of age each. and have had 2 clutches of healthy babies every year since they were 2 with my Aunt (who I got them from). Since I got them, all of their eggs have been either infertile or have DIS'd, one hatched but died a few hours after. They have recently lost another clutch, but started mating right after, which has restricted me from taking the nest box out. I am not sure why they are suddenly having problems, they are perfectly healthy, happy birds and are on a healthy diet. Any help would be great, as we are all at a loss as to why they're struggling. I don't want her to keep laying over and over like she is, either. I know it's bad for her, but she seems so determined to have a chick again.

How do I help her and her boyfriend? Thanks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not a breeder but I have 4 tiels and have had tiels for many years. Your girl seems to be stuck in egg-laying mode and you need to get her out of that. It's very unhealthy as eggs take large supplies of calcium from her body to create. Don't take the eggs away from her too fast. If they don't hatch and you take them away too fast she will just lay new ones. You might have to separate them physically for a bit so she can recuperate. That doesn't mean don't let them hang out. Just don't let them together out of your sight. Lower light output in their room will help them not get into breeding mode too. Take away all the potential nest-building material from her cage like paper and strings. Rearranging her toys helps too because it changes her "safe" environment.
Bird White Product Cartoon Organism

1 - 2 of 2 Posts