Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my baby Cinnamaroll laid an egg...
there is no male around at all...she dosent have a breeding box, she has just taken a roost on the floor of her bedtime cage... which is annoying cos its always really dirty there as the budgies (11) and cinnamaroll always climb around on top, i feed them fresh grass seed there..which i suppose is why she did it there (fresh dry grass stalks and heeps of soft husk)..
but anywhoo... what do i do about it?..
she is protecting it fairly hard at the moment
usually she is the most sooky bird... the egg has seen her personality fly to the other extreme as if she has bipolar or something :p
any help?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Ok-First, do not remove the egg. She will realize it's not fertile and will stop sitting on it in a couple of weeks. If you remove it she will try and replace it which really drains their calcium. She will probably lay more every other day until she has her "clutch" -it's ussually up to 8 eggs. Keep in mind it takes alot out of her to lay these eggs so make sure she gets her calcium and vitamins. You can give her some boiled egg with shell-just crushed up, cuttlebone is a must, a mineral block and veggies. Also it's important to know the signs of an eggbound hen. When a hen is either not in great healthy, older or has a calcium defienciency the egg will either not form or get stuck. Her vent area will get large, she's hold her wings out, walk around, look strained,etc. It's important to keep the humidity at a higher level to help her and get her to the vet asap! Also, you will notice that she poops alot less and when she does it's ussually huge. They hold it in and that's a good indicator that another egg is on the way. Now, she will continue to sit on them for a while but there are some things you need to do now and in the future to keep her from wanting to do this again. Increase her dark/nightime to 12+ hrs a day, move and change around anything you can in the cage, even the location of the cage itself if possible. This will bring her out of her comfort zone which she needs during that time and it'll help her basically snap out of it. Also don't provide any nesting material like the dry grass...etc. It's ok to move the eggs. You should try and handle her when you can so she gets her mind off the eggs. She will start sitting on them less and less after two- three weeks. Once she has stopped almost completly remove one at a time. Make sure you give her plenty of attention. Also in the future make sure she had no access to dark, conmfy corners and no petting except the head. Never pet her back, tain, belly. Keep us posted to see how it goes. By the way, yes even the sweetest tiel will turn and try to protect her eggs. Don't worry about it-she'll get over it soon. Best of luck to you and her.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i don't know... but it's been only a couple of days and she is now completely disinterested with the egg... she stopped sitting on it or attacking stuff that went near it and sat on the perch in her cage or just roamed freely around the house... as she did before the egg...
she is a healthy big bird and shows no sign of being eggbound.. or even uncomfortable... she is sitting on my knee right now...
i can't increase or decrease light as the my house IS Cinnamaroll's house..
so i guess i just got to wait it out...
i want to get a mate for Cinnamaroll... when is the right time to do this?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
well i don't know... but it's been only a couple of days and she is now completely disinterested with the egg... she stopped sitting on it or attacking stuff that went near it and sat on the perch in her cage or just roamed freely around the house... as she did before the egg...
she is a healthy big bird and shows no sign of being eggbound.. or even uncomfortable... she is sitting on my knee right now...
i can't increase or decrease light as the my house IS Cinnamaroll's house..
so i guess i just got to wait it out...
i want to get a mate for Cinnamaroll... when is the right time to do this?
Be sure she is complety disintrested in it before you remove it or she will only try and replace it. What do you mean by your house is her house??? You really should move around all her things to avoid this in the future. How old is she?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I agree with Aly you really should try and make sure she has 12 hrs or more of darkness does she have a cage? I was just a little confused on my house is her house, all you would need to do is cover it earlier, you should really do all you can to prevent her from laying eggs as its really hard on them

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can increase her darkness by covering her cage earlier or leaving her covered later in the morning. Tiels breed in the spring/summer usually when the days stay lighter longer, so reducing light makes conditions less ideal and in turn will make her less likely to lay. :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You posted today in another thread that she has laid an egg- so I am assuming it's another one. I forgot to mention above that she will not start sitting on them right away and that's why you probably thought it was over. I do have some questions for you if you don't mind.
How old is she?
Is she housed with the budgies?
Are you able to do any of the things mentioned to make sure she doesn't do this in the future and also are you providing her with veggies, calcium, etc?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i meant that Cinnamaroll roams freely around my house,every room is just as much hers as it is myne, she goes to bed in her cage when she wants, it is summer and light conditions are the same as a wild cockatiel has (i live in australia). She shows no signs of loosing any condition or health. She was completely disinterested in her egg untill the budgies tried to go in her cage (as they sometimes do, and she is fine with) then she took interest in the egg again, and has laid a second one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the budgies have their own night cage(that they go to of their own free will same as Cinnamaroll), but share a 'bird play room' that has a curtain for a door that the budgies dont go through but Cinnamaroll walks under it, this leads to the rest of the house..
all the birds get vegies and fresh grass seeds everyday, and sometimes fruit. they all have access to (at all times)
;iodine and oyster block,iodine and calcium block, fine shell grit with multivitamin powder, fine shell grit with oyster, and various cuttlefish bones(i live close to the sea)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
the only suggestion I can make is you are going to have to start putting her to bed earlier and but a cover over her cage to increase her dark hours they will continue to lay eggs usually every other day if they are interested in the egg or not,
Often, light is the stimulus which beckons birds to breed. When the amount of light (natural or unnatural) that reaches your cockatiel's cage reaches approximately 12 hours per day, it is instinctual for her to want to reproduce. You may have to fool your cockatiel into thinking it is perpetually winter. Keep the shade drawn and keep her cage covered on three sides during the day Allow her 11-12 hours of sleep at night with her cage fully covered.
If you don't take steps to nip it in the bud she could become a chronic egg layer

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
the only suggestion I can make is you are going to have to start putting her to bed earlier and but a cover over her cage to increase her dark hours they will continue to lay eggs usually every other day if they are interested in the egg or not,
Often, light is the stimulus which beckons birds to breed. When the amount of light (natural or unnatural) that reaches your cockatiel's cage reaches approximately 12 hours per day, it is instinctual for her to want to reproduce. You may have to fool your cockatiel into thinking it is perpetually winter. Keep the shade drawn and keep her cage covered on three sides during the day Allow her 11-12 hours of sleep at night with her cage fully covered.
If you don't take steps to nip it in the bud she could become a chronic egg layer
I agree. It's your responsibility regardless of how much she is free to go anywhere. Baby is the same- she does what she pleases WITH limitations. I don't need her laying clutch after clutch-it's dangerous and not healthy for a single female.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well somehow i dont think laying a single clutch of eggs can be bad for her
my friend has a cockatiel from the same breeder and she laid a single clutch (in the right time of year)when she reached maturity, then that was it, obviouisly im not an idiot, if egg laying was in any way making her life more difficult or reducing her health i would limit her freedom to change this, but as it is i see no problem with a totally healthy bird wanting to lay a clutch of eggs, she is after all intended to be a breeding bird, and it is their natural 'breeding time of year' here

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
well somehow i dont think laying a single clutch of eggs can be bad for her
my friend has a cockatiel from the same breeder and she laid a single clutch (in the right time of year)when she reached maturity, then that was it, obviouisly im not an idiot, if egg laying was in any way making her life more difficult or reducing her health i would limit her freedom to change this, but as it is i see no problem with a totally healthy bird wanting to lay a clutch of eggs, she is after all intended to be a breeding bird, and it is their natural 'breeding time of year' here
Yes, I understand that this is their breeding time and that most hens will try and lay a clutch when they reach that age. All I was trying to say is that not doing something about it now can lead to her becoming a chronic layer which is dangerous. It's your tiel so you have the last word but you asked for advice and I told you all I know. Please don't look at it as reducing her freedom- you are responsible for her and need to do what you can to make sure she is ok. Hope you aren't taking any of this the wrong way.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i guess thats my point, i dont think that laying a clutch of eggs at this age, in breeding season classifies as 'developing into a chronic egg layer' i guess what i was trying to ask, is should i try and move her and egg into a breeding box, as i have not introduced a breeding box yet in the hope that she wouldnt do the 'teenage lay' and i thought introducing a breeding box might just encorage her. i have no problem reducing her freedom to uphold my responsibility as a avian parent, i just dont think it is a problem as of yet, and i dont believe in fixing things before theyre 'broke'~if of course it causes no issues
about her personality change...its next to nothing, i am proud to say i have one of the most well behaved cockatiels i have ever met, i kinda meant it as a joke when i said its like she is bipolar :p she never bites and lives as good a life as i can provide (which all my friends say is 'kinda spoilt')
dont worry i am not one of those 'crazy hippie' types who believes in 'freedom at all costs' and such, but i do believe being an animal caregiver means just that, providing all the care you would give to anyone you love, human or otherwise

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
the reason i dont think she is going to become a 'chronic egg layer' is because i believe the whole thing was brought on by my friend unexpectedly dropping round a few weeks back with her male tiel.... no mating happened, but it turned Cinnamaroll a little 'clucky'
and as i said before her 'cousin' (from the same breeder) laid a clutch when she was Cinnamarolls age and that was it, i guess i am just making sure i dont reduce her freedom for no reason, if she gets 'clucky' again next year with or without a male around, if she isnt a 'perfectly healthy specimen' of her species there is no way i will let her lay, but that would have been the case this year too

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i guess what i was trying to ask, is should i try and move her and egg into a breeding box, as i have not introduced a breeding box yet
No you should not unless you are wanting to breed her. At this point you should be doing all you can to help her get over this period happy and healthy. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to explain. She is not "broken" nor is she a chronic egg layer at this point but mesurements have to be taken before anything not after. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No you should not unless you are wanting to breed her. At this point you should be doing all you can to help her get over this period happy and healthy. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to explain. She is not "broken" nor is she a chronic egg layer at this point but mesurements have to be taken before anything not after. Just my thoughts.
hehe yeah i wasnt really referring to HER as 'broken' i just ment in general, with the breeding box, i just wanted to make her more comfortable, and her being on the floor of the cage makes it kinda hard to do the daily clean. i actually understand perfectly what you are trying to say (i think) all i am saying is that measurements dont actually HAVE to be made before, as i cannot be sure it is a 'before' as shown by her 'cousin', and as she IS happy and healthy. i kinda feel switching her whole routine around at this point will probably only put unneeded stress on her~keep in mind this is only my personal opinion from having a close friendship with Cinnamaroll.

thanks by the way for confirming my thought about the breeding box

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
hehe yeah i wasnt really referring to HER as 'broken' i just ment in general, with the breeding box, i just wanted to make her more comfortable, and her being on the floor of the cage makes it kinda hard to do the daily clean. i actually understand perfectly what you are trying to say (i think) all i am saying is that measurements dont actually HAVE to be made before, as i cannot be sure it is a 'before' as shown by her 'cousin', and as she IS happy and healthy. i kinda feel switching her whole routine around at this point will probably only put unneeded stress on her~keep in mind this is only my personal opinion from having a close friendship with Cinnamaroll.

thanks by the way for confirming my thought about the breeding box
I know what you mean by being really close to her and feeling bad about changing her routine, what she will think, etc. I also understand you want her to be comfortable. My baby, Baby laid her 1st egg 12/31/07 at midnights and I had tears in my eyes. I love that little bird SO much and we have such a unique bond it's unexplainable. It's hard to change their routine when you are really close to them- I know. What you can do to make it a bit more comfortable is place a small towel under her eggs so she is comfortable while sitting on them. After she is finished laying she will spend most of her day sitting on them and not paying any mind to you. She'll be back to her normal self soon enought. Also, just my opionion but I don't think her seeing a male tiel alone would cause her to become broody-it's a combination of it being the right conditions, longer days, comfort, security, etc are all things that they need to want to breed. Don't think of increasing her daytime as stressfull, it'll help her in the long run. For now- just be there for her as you are now. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
i am only trying to provide the best for my animals
i have actually taken in all the things you have said, just because i dont agree with you on one part of this 'hobby/love/business' dosent mean i dont respect your opinion and experience i have found its the same with alot of things "there are a million ways to do something and few are wrong" but if i thought for a second that Cinnamaroll, or any of my babies were in danger there wouldnt be much that could make me stop doing anything in my power to make them happy and healthy again
but i do have to be sure before i can be comfortable changing something that also could have a disadvantage to them (not saying it definitely would)if there might not be a problem yet

the male tiel coming over is i think what tipped it, not the entire cause
i cant be sure but she wasnt showing any signs before that visit, so i think i might have got away with no eggs otherwise

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
the male tiel coming over is i think what tipped it, not the entire cause
i cant be sure but she wasnt showing any signs before that visit, so i think i might have got away with no eggs otherwise
atleast Cinnamonroll laid them for a tiel- Baby laid hers for my ex boyfriend..:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts