Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Mango laid an egg :lutino linnie: and I don't know whether it was in hurry or not but; the egg was laid on rough bamboo sticks which are half dirty and rusty... just above the egg are some porches, I am not sure how it did lay egg at that spot but I am pretty sure that Mango was not able to sit over her egg...

My mom (Who claims that she knows about breeding animals) put the egg (WITH BARE FINGERS! I WAS TELLING HER NOT TO!) in a more comfortable place for Mango to get cozy with her egg...

Coco is waaay younger (the father) and right now is finding himself occupied with a rubber toy or something... totally anonymous -_- :cinnamon:

So, now the question is, since my mom used her genius intellect and chose to shift the egg with her bare fingers; will the egg be alright? Will the chick survive? I have no clue and Mango (it's her first time) is **** care free about her egg, she doesn't looks too careful about her young one at all?!

What should I do? Should I wait? What should I do?! :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
It should be okay, even if she touched it with bare fingers. Ideally when handling eggs she should have washed thoroughly, but dont stress out. If it doesnt turn out to be fertile it could be from more than her moving the egg. Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Your mom was correct, there was nothing wrong with her touching the egg with her bare hands or moving the egg. Birds do not abandon eggs for that reason, that's just a myth. I used to handle my bird's eggs all the time when I was breeding. How else do you know if the eggs are gonna hatch or not? Because the mate is so young though, the egg may not be fertile if he doesn't know exactly what he's doing just yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mango laid another egg!!

My maid saw it yesterday; it was laid inside the pot we inserted on the cage wall for them as a house, and the old egg, (I don't know HOW the **** they did it) was seen on the cage floor; my maid said that she saw a super tiny crack on the shell. Maybe because of that they abandoned it...

BUT, today, my super-duper intelligent mom and maid decided to put the ruined egg back into the pot while Mango and Coco were down at the bottom eating food...

Which they did -_-

Now, I have a good egg and a bad egg in the pot on which Coco (the father, I suppose) sits daily... I dunno what's gonna happen :/

Will the chick come out? Will the bad egg ruin the good egg as well? What should 'I' do? How much time will it take for the chick to come out? Will it even come out? :frown:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Do you have nest box litter in the pot? I honestly would get a nest box and hand it outside the cage, I feel like it will make your life easier checking and handling the chicks and cleaning.
It will also make them feel more secure, but if you don't want one it's fine.

Must nest box shavings is mandatory. There is info at http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27688

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Or you could repair the bad egg...place a piece of paper towel over it and seal it with clear nail polish. It may not hatch but it would be a good source of warmth to any babies that do hatch.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
That's a great idea! It definitely won't hatch since there won't be any moisture, but reparing it will also not make the hen replace it by laying more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts