Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female cockatiel, Raichu needs calcium since she is gonna be a mama since she is currently laying her first batch of eggs. Luckily she and her mate Honey have eaten a lot of broccoli which has calcium, but I want to continue giving her foods of calcium since she'll definitely need it.

My mom suggested on feeding them egg shells, is it okay to feed them that? If so, then how should I? By crushing them in tiny bits? Making sure it doesn't have sharp edges? Please let me know!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What kind of diet are they on? If they are getting pellets of any kind, the extra calcium is unnecessary. A cuttle bone in the cage is also a good idea. Egg shells have been known to cut throats so if you are gonna give them, crush them up as fine as possible.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
A couple of other nutrients that are important for reproductive health are vitamin D (to help with calcium absorption) and vitamin A (to keep the mucous membranes in the reproductive tract soft and moist).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If using egg shells make sure to boil them well first (to sanitize them) then grind to a fine powder. Personally it is much easier to just buy cuttlebone. I get a huge bag of them from www.drsfostersmith.com quite cheap, last time I bought the medium ones and they were HUGE!! Next time I think I will get the large, just to see how big they are...lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts