Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cockatiel pair, Honey & Raichu, have successfully mated and are starting off their first batch of eggs! So far they have two eggs oDo

In case your wondering how they look or what mutation they are:

:cinnamon pearl: ~ Raichu (Hen)

:pied: ~ Honey (Cock)

----

Though, there is a problem that I found confusing..

- The very first egg of the batch, has a crack on it. It isn't a deep crack though, it's fairly light. From what I know, damaged eggs would no longer be fertile. My mother thinks that the egg will survive and left it in the nest, and she'd insist to leave it in the nest. Though, Honey is always taking care of it as if it has no problem, and isn't it said that a cockatiel pair would think the damaged egg is "worthless" and that they'd leave it behind not caring for it? Is it that the egg somehow survived from the crack? I know it might sound a bit weird to some of you that a possibly rotten/dead egg is in the nest but I'm new to breeding (I do know about the female having to eat greens to get some calcium due to the eggs though) and I've explained my reasoning on why it is. Does anyone know why?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You can patch it. Use some paper towel and clear nail polish. I've never had a patched egg survive til hatching but it's worth a shot. You put a piece of paper towel over the crack, apply the nail polish, and let it dry. Tiels will not abandon a cracked egg because it can be a good source of heat for babies if patched correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can patch it. Use some paper towel and clear nail polish. I've never had a patched egg survive til hatching but it's worth a shot. You put a piece of paper towel over the crack, apply the nail polish, and let it dry. Tiels will not abandon a cracked egg because it can be a good source of heat for babies if patched correctly.
Thank you for telling me! I will definitely keep that in mind and try patching the egg and use the patching idea for future batches of eggs :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts