Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Angie and I have a cockatiel named Valentino. (DH got WHAT I THOUGHT was a HIM for me on Valentine's day 6 years). Thus the name Valentino!

The 2nd year we had her she laid an egg and we realized he was a she. Over the next 5 years she has produced about 2-3 eggs a year. I let her sit on them for a little and when she starts to lose interest I take it out.

In November of 07 I found out I am pregnant with our first child. Since I found out I was preggo, she has had......12 eggs. She NEVER had this many eggs. I take them out and a week later she has another one or two. She just went 3 weeks without having one and last night she was making the noises and BLAM she had one.

So I have three questions.

First and foremost, is it ok for her to have so many eggs in such a short time, and if not, how can I stop her? (I've let eggs in there for weeks even after she loses interest and she still has them even with the old eggs in there!):tiel6:

Second, is it just a fluke that she's doing this while I'm pregnant, or does she want to be a mommy with me? :thumbu:

Third, if she wants to be a mommy that bad, is there such thing as a stud service out there? :love: HA HA! REALLY! It sounds funny but I am really wondering.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Angie

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi Angie welcome to the forum

There are a few things you can try if you already haven't,
Often, light is the stimulus which beckons birds to breed. When the amount of light (natural or unnatural) that reaches your cockatiel's cage reaches approximately 12 hours per day, it is instinctual for her to want to reproduce. You may have to fool your cockatiel into thinking it is perpetually winter. Keep the shade drawn and keep her cage covered on three sides during the day so that you have some time with her when you come home at night. Allow her 11-12 hours of sleep at night with her cage fully covered. You should also move things around in her cage change toys often and even move her cage to a different location sometimes these small changes can throw them off, also make sure she is getting enough calcium in her diet at this time provide cuttlebone its very hard on there bodies to keep laying eggs so you should do all you can to prevent it.
As far as her knowing your pregnant I am not sure about that, if she would get that there is a baby in there :p and no I don't believe there is any stud services for cockatiels, its not as easy with them just putting them together cockatiels have to bond to each other before they will breed together I have two that are together and after 7 months the female still won't let him come anywhere near her :p sometimes it takes many months before they will bond and get close enough to breed and raise the babies together with cockatiels its a joint venture and can take a long time.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum Angie! What an awesome Valentine's pressie. ;) Your hubby clearly has wonderful taste in gifts.

I just wanted to add that if doing the normal things that Laura mentioned doesn't work, you can see an avian vet about giving her a hormone shot. Chronic egg layers often need them because if they keep laying it becomes unhealthy. :) I've read about some only needing one (in cases like yours) to stop things and break the cycle, while others need them regularly during certain parts of the year.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Welcome :D That is strange that she has laid alot since you have been pregnant. The suggestions you got are good ones :) I also heard to put alot of toys or marbles on the bottom of the cage might help, since she won't have no where to lay eggs :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hey Angie! Congrats on your pregnacy btw..
As far as your little girl, it's normal for them to lay eggs some time in their life time but they really shouldn't lay them every year. Also, so many eggs in such a short amount of time depelts her calcium so make sure she's getting lots of cuttle bone, veggies, etc.. Like the others posted above, there are several things to get her to "snap out of it"...First, never remove her eggs until she is done sitting on them because she'll just replace them. They will normally lay one clutch and sit on it for 2-3 wks. After that, she'll start ignoring them. You can remove one egg a day at that time.
The other things you can do to get her to come out and stay out of breeding condition are:
Make sure she's getting 10-12 hrs of dark night time.
Change around her cage location.
Change around her toys, perches, food cups, etc.
Don't pet her back, vent, etc...only her head.
Limit soft foods that are high in fat and sugar...seed are one of them. IF she's on a seed only diet make sure she's getting other things in her diet such as veggies, legumes and a little fruit.

I'm not sure that you being pregnant would cause her to lay so many, but if you and her are bonded it's quite possible she's sensing that from you and wanting her own kids. Now, you really don't have tend to that need as they are perfectly happy and healthy without having a clutch as long as you don't provide the conditions. I wouldn't recommend getting a stud for her since they can become quite bonded and he'll need to be there for the whole thing to help her. If they do bond and he's removed after she'll be quite heart broken. Just love her as is and she'll be ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts