Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just brought home 2 new cockatiels and was told they were both boys but turns out ones a girl and she has already started laying eggs even though there is no where for her to nest they just fall on the floor, was just wondering is this going to cause any issues as I don't want babies so should I take the eggs or leave them or what do I do
please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
cockatiel laying eggs

I heard that it is better to let the bird set on the eggs, mine had no mate, so eggs were infertile. I waited the time it takes them to incubate (it's been a while, so I don't remember how long) and took one egg out when she was away from cage and threw it away, I did this every other day, since they lay every other day usually. What's weird is when first egg is layed, the female does not set on it, until another one is laid, then she begins setting on them. If egg is fertilized, the baby bird inside will somehow still live. But it has to be laid on within a few days. Some people throw the eggs away, but this just makes the bird lay more eggs, which depletes the bird's calcium and can lead to egg binding, which kills the bird. It's awful. I have had 2 birds (not at same time) that laid eggs. The other one kept laying eggs, 1st every 2 days, then once a day. The eggs were starting to get soft. I did not want her on hormones or anything, I heard that if you change the bird's environment somehow, that will stop egg laying at least for a while, so I put her and her cage in another room. That did the trick, she stopped laying. What happens is the bird feels a bit uncomfortable if you move the cage to another location, she's not sure it's safe to lay her eggs there, so she stops. It worked for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah see mine is in an aviary outside with 2 boys so I can't really change much and I don't really want to get rid of her but I really don't want babies this is my dilemma

1 - 4 of 4 Posts