Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My 15+ year old lutino (Frodo) has started laying eggs. Her mate (20+ yo)is also her father. I don't really want any babies,since at my age they re likely to outlive me. I don't know if i Should throw out the eggs since I've had conflicting advice. Frodo is almost blind with cataracts, and she has a neurological problem(holds her head tilted) The vet couldn't help her. She was normal and healthy until age 12. She laid 3 eggs, but the first egg was tiny and probably infertile. However she favors that egg and ignores the other probably fertile ones. Her mate is much more conscientious and sits on all 3, and he rolls them and pushes them together when they roll apart. He was a very good dad when she and her siblings were babies many years ago, and nested with fed his babies. However I suspect Frodo would not be a great mom due to her impairments. If I could re-home the babies I would let the eggs hatch, but would a bird rescue accept them? I'd love some feedback on this .

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I were you, I'd poke holes in the eggs or boil them, and let her sit on them until she gets tired pf them. I would never let eggs with that closely related parents hatch, from a purely genetic point of view, but I am by no means an expert on those matters.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wouldn't let them hatch either. Between her issues and the fact that you have a father/daughter pairing, it's not recommended. You could always get some fake eggs and replace the real ones with those so that she has something to sit on.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wouldn't let them hatch either. Between her issues and the fact that you have a father/daughter pairing, it's not recommended. You could always get some fake eggs and replace the real ones with those so that she has something to sit on.
Is is what I would do, father to daughter mating is just asking for babies with issues. Replace the eggs with fakes and let her have at it, if likes the little egg best give her a few white marbles, those are what I use for fake budgie eggs and they work great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your reply. Her favorite egg broke yesterday, and she just laid another egg today. I don't want them to hatch so I'll do what you suggested or try replacing them with fake eggs as others have suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Frodo's favorite egg broke and she has already replaced it with a 4th egg. I plan to follow your suggestion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Thanks for the advice. Frodo just laid a 4th egg. I will try to replace them all with fake eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts