Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little confused here. i have a female that was laying a lot of eggs before so i gave her a nest box so she could have a clutch and stop. well she had the eggs in there over a month so i took them out because that longer then the normal cycle for eggs. now that i took them away she has started laying again but won't go into the nest box. she just lets it drop out her bum 3 feet to the bottom of the cage.

i even tried putting the eggs back into the nest box that i took out because she laid an egg less then half a day after i took them out. but she won't go in unless i put her in it. the worst part is i think the eggs she is laying now are fertile because she has pared up since she laid the first set and they were doing the hanky panky the other day lol

any ideas on how to get her to use the nest box again? i don't want her to keep laying tons of eggs i know thats really bad for her.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Place a towel on the bottom of the cage so that when they fall they don't break and then place them in the box for her. Put millet in the box so that she is tempted to do in there. Honestly I would try some hormone control to stop her laying because it's not healthy for her to lay so often. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried the daylight thing, i got them a new cage for christmas and moved them from the living room to my bedroom. there food i only put in enough in a day that i have to replace it daily. i have always done that. she is just a hormone busting machine. :-/ she lays nice eggs. she loves the cuddle bone and even though she hasn't been using the nest box the past few days she will only let her mate near it . she won't let the other 2 birds anywhere near the box. its all so confusing.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
How long did you do the daylight thing for?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
over a month before i gave up. she has settled on a second clutch and is happy. i just won't take these ones out until she leaves them herself. hopefully that will settle her down for a bit. i have suspicion that these ones are fertile though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts