Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
So now my other bonded pair has laid an egg. Woke up this morning to the male screaming...he was looking for his mate who I didn't realize was not in the cage when I shut the door. Where was she? UNDER my dresser, of course. Took a flashlight down and voila! There's egg number one for them. She must have laid it this morning or late last night. I've been checking there a lot because they'd taken a keen sense of interest in that area. I tried discouraging it. I believe this is the pair that leaves eggs abandoned in their food dishes, and she laid one once on my couch cushion. WHY can't I have a pair that actually likes the nestbox for once? I'm going to do everything I can to get them into a nestbox with the egg and hopefully they'll continue it there, but if they stop attending to it the way my other paid did, guess I'll have no choice but to allow them to lay where they lay >.<

Indy (sister to my beloved, Calypso)

Turk McGurk

I'll keep my fingers crossed it all works out for them this time. They've been bonded for as long as I've had him which is about 7 years now. Hopefully they took notice of how my other pair reared their eggs and chicks and are now ready to do the same!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
She is a beautiful WF cinnamon lutino pearl pied :) I had a hen that looked just like her and she insisted on laying eggs between the cabinets in the room, and just would not use the box. I wound up making a circle out of cardboard and placing bedding and the eggs in it for her to nest. It took her a couple more clutches to figure out what a nestbox is for. But in the meantime I called them the 'floor babies' and they were excellent parents.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a GREAT idea. I have tried other things in the past for my first breeding pair since they are floor of the cage layers, but to no avail. I am willing to try anything, but as long as mama and papa are healthy, I mean that's all I can ask. If they want to produce me with some babies, too, well that's an added bonus for me. But with me having just added to my flock recently, it'll be a shame I can't keep these if they hatch :(

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I hope you find a solution for your hen! :) I was noticing in your pic of Turk that he has quite the bald head? Is his mate plucking him?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Indy and Turk used to have a plucking problem. It was so terrible. I didn't know how to stop it. I seperated them, they'd scream bloody murder until reunited. She plucked his head, he plucked between her wings. They have a few feathers in those areas, but for the most part, they are bald in those areas. Now, they are so sweet to each other. The plucking stopped long ago.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Lucky was plucking cookie bald before i gave them a box and im happy to say she has stopped and he is getting his feathers back :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts