Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Firstly just wanted to say thanks for all the help I received last year when my Cockatiels started breeding; it made such a difference!

I wasn't planning on letting them breed again, but about three weeks ago there was a broken egg on the bottom of the cage so Jasbop obviously wants to be a mom :]

Three of the five eggs are fertile, and the first one has a little crack and I can hear the chick pecking at the shell from the inside. So I just wanted to check, how soon after the first signs of hatching should the chick hatch? I've read it can take up to two days, but other sources say after 24 hours you should assist? Last year I had two DIS that could have been saved if I'd known to assist. I want to be absolutely onto it this time!

Also, just want to double check in terms of parental feeding - how long until they should start feeding the chick? And is there any information on early signs of splayed leg and how to prevent it?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I can now hear the chick cheeping from inside the egg! But the pip mark hasn't started changed yet.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The normal hatch time is usually 24-36 hours, but some can hatch sooner than that. Anything longer, and you may need to assist hatch. My 3 chicks hatched within a few hours after pipping. Here is a pipping illustration done by srtiels (a very knowledgeable mod on this forum): http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/uploads/1/5/2/0/15203836/313343_orig.jpg

The parents will only feed the chick fluids (so it is kept hydrated) for the first 12 hours, as the chick is absorbing the yolk during this time.

Best way to avoid splayed legs, is having plenty of bedding!

There is lots more information here: http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/candling-eggs.html about candling/hatching.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pip mark hasn't changed at all overnight; the air cell is quite large so I think there is a humidity problem. That's what happened to one of my eggs last year and I had to assist; the membrane had stuck to the chick. The chick is still chirping away inside the egg. Is there anyway to partially assist if it's a humidity problem; i.e. Just moisten the membrane, or will I have to full assist like last time?

Last year I got the chick out fine, but the chick wouldn't eat, I could see my female try to feed it but it wouldn't eat. I wasn't sure if that was because it was too weak (had been left in the egg too long or not).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edit: There are now more pip marks, but in the same general area as the first one was; i.e. they haven't moved across the egg at all yet. Does it seem likely that the chick is unable to rotate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a humidifier running in my aviary 24/7 helps keep the chicks from sticking in the eggs. I was always taught to assist after 24 hrs, like Renea said the chick is absorbing the yolk the first day. Mom and dad should take over after that.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've done an assist hatch before using the linked article; the chick survived the hatch but died later - it wouldn't feed :[

I first saw the pip mark around this time yesterday (so roughly 24 hours), but I hadn't checked the eggs that morning so it might have appeared earlier. I can feel the chick moving in the egg (it's a lot more vigorous than last years chick) and it's still chirping loudly.

Would it be better to wait until the morning to assist hatch or start now? I'm not sure if I should give it a little more time since it could potentially only be roughly 24 hours since it pipped or if I should go in now.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edit: I assist hatched it; very glad I did as it had defecated in the shell so was ready to come out!

Are the parents able to help with dehydration at all? It's intestines were quite dark!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're also nibbling it? Is that normal? It doesn't look vicious at all, but it's not under the parents with the other eggs so not sure if they're rejecting it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More questions... I hatched the baby last night (has red eyes which is exciting!); he's still here this morning. I was just wanting to check about assist feeding; should you wait 24 hours after hatching before you need to assist? I want to be ready in case I need to step in! I have everything that I'll need to do it.

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Have the parents started feeding and brooding the baby yet? I'm concerned that the baby might be weak and cold, and they're nibbling at it trying to get a proper feeding response from it. The effort to get a feeding response can turn violent and lead to the baby being hurt or killed. If the parents aren't sitting on the baby it would be best to take it out of the nest and warm it up yourself, and assist feed a little fluid to help it gain strength. When the baby seems stronger you can put it back with the parents, but keep an eye on the situation. Here is Susanne's article on assist feeding newborns: http://www.internationalcockatielresource.com/assist-feeding-chicks.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I gave a drop of water last night and this morning; his crop looked like there was a little bit in it, but I wasn't sure if that was the water or not.

The mom doesn't want much to do with it and won't sit on it, but the dad will. They're both currently in there most of the time save for themselves feeding.

Should I assume to start feeding every 2 hours if the crop isn't full at 7 tonight (24 hours from when I assist hatched it) or should I start now?

How often should a new chick chirp? It's chirping most of the time so I don't know if that's normal or if it's begging for food? I have a couple of pictures that I'll post in a second; they were taken just after the second drop of water was given this morning.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are two pics; he's still quite dehydrated - I gave him a drop of water right before the pic was taken.

You can still see the yolk slightly (I think!) so not sure if I need that to disappear before feeding?

He's way fluffier than when I hatched him!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just checked the box now; he's under mom which is good as she was quite dismissive of him earlier! His chirps are quite strong and he's still all wriggly.

Any idea what colour he'll be? Mom is a pearl and dad is a grey? I got a surprise with his red eyes!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She definitely looks like she's feeding it now! He's being super loud and chirping quickly when she goes to feed him.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
The baby is probably lutino but cinnamon is also a possibility - they can have red-looking eyes at hatch. If it's cinnamon, the eyes will turn darker after a few days. And since Mom is NOT cinnamon or lutino, that means the baby is a girl! Cinnamon and lutino are sex-linked mutations, and one of the requirements for getting a boy in those colors is that the mother must be visual for the mutation. If Mom isn't visual the baby has to be a girl. Dad must be split for whichever mutation this baby turns out to be.

It sounds like things are going well now - the baby has a good feeding response and both parents are taking care of her. But if you have any more problems, I seriously recommend that you talk to Susanne at ICR https://www.facebook.com/groups/ICR.unite/ She's the expert at hand-holding people through a baby-related crisis, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to join right now and show her the baby pictures to get her opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts