Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it mean when the egg completely dries out?
will this happen to any non-fertile egg?

my female seems to mate a lot with one male.
but i am not sure if she is too old or missing something from her diet.
i guess she maybe 11.

what happens when a tiel is too old? do they stop laying eggs? or does something like this happen

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
A certain amount of moisture loss is part of the normal egg development process. If the humidity is too low the egg will lose moisture too fast, and if the humidity is too high the moisture loss won't be fast enough. Either one causes problems for the chick. Here's detailed information on humidity issues from an incubator company: https://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/Humidity.aspx

An egg that is cracked or chipped will lose moisture too fast, but repairing the crack may help save the day. An egg that never hatches will eventually dry out completely.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
When hens get old they lose fertility and stop laying eggs. Nobody seems to be sure about the age when this happens, but it seems to be generally agreed that most cockatiel hens are fertile until age 12 at least. As with humans, males stay fertile longer than females.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I allow all my unhatched eggs to dehydrate and use them to paint with nail polish... I have a whole bowl full! I have a clutch now of 8 babies, the last baby had to be assisted out of his shell because his egg got damaged during the last week of incubation and started to dehydrated a bit, when this happened the membrane adhered a little to his head and he could not turn around in the shell to pip his way out, he just kept pipping in the same spot over and over. Once he stopped trying to pip, stopped calling and was barely moving I knew that if I didn't help him he would die. I opened the top 1/3 of his egg and freed him then put him back and let him finish hatching on his own, he is now 6 days old!

(The pic is my clutch from last year this time with some of my painted eggs.)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts